cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need a battery. Never boondock. Recommendations?

mojoroo
Explorer
Explorer
My battery is toast, leaving our TT plugged into shore power has ruined our battery. So I need a battery, nothing to boon dock with but something to give us power to open the slide when arriving on the site, getting lunch at rest areas and the occasional power outage.

So what should I get that is fairly inexpensive. I assume I don't need a true deep cycle.

Also what should I do to keep the rv charging system from over charging?
23 REPLIES 23

mojoroo
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Buy a really INEXPENSIVE multimeter. One that the test leads are permanently attached. You can find these online. Five dollars or so.

Set for VOLTAGE DC

Touch RED + test probe to battery POSITIVE post, nowhere else

Touch BLACK - test probe to battery NEGATIVE post, nowhere else

The numbers on the dial have a decimal point. Note it. (example 14.34)

Rake a reading and come back to the forum and post your results.

or "buy" one at harbor freight, for free.
๐Ÿ™‚ bumpy

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a really INEXPENSIVE multimeter. One that the test leads are permanently attached. You can find these online. Five dollars or so.

Set for VOLTAGE DC

Touch RED + test probe to battery POSITIVE post, nowhere else

Touch BLACK - test probe to battery NEGATIVE post, nowhere else

The numbers on the dial have a decimal point. Note it. (example 14.34)

Rake a reading and come back to the forum and post your results.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
how to use a multimeter
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mojoroo
Explorer
Explorer
Makes sense but how do I do that? Multimeter? Never used one.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
mojoroo,

You positively -must- check the voltage at the battery to know whether or not the converter is working properly. If you -never- or almost never boondock keeping the battery at no higher than 13.5 volts is essential. You cannot tell without using a meter.

mojoroo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all I went with a $75 dollar one from Walmart. I should have looked at getting a Costco card. Did I overcharge it? Maybe..not intentionally if I did, but I got a few years out of it and it was just the one that came with the TT.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
You know, I went back and went over the OP word for punctuation and I could not make out heads or tails of the year, type of rig, or anything else. So for the life of me try as I might I cannot asssssssssssssume whether the battery was overcharged, undercharged, inner charged or outer charged. He asked about a battery recommendation. That part I got straight.

"Right on" - on your first post - and the second one too!..:B

~

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would likely got with a 29 for a few dollars more than a 24, But if you never boondock.. Then a single Maintenance Free Marine/Deep cycle is the battery of choice.

IF you do boondock however.. you gonna want much more battery. I know I do when i'm off the grid. (And in one campground I stay at that can be 3 or 5 times a day )(@#*$)@#( 30 amp sites)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

chipper
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
For as little time as you claim you are going to use the battery, an el cheapo Costco engine starting battery will work fine. Get one with those fantastic warranties...96 months or whatever.

X2, I have been using one for 7 years now, still good.
gene

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
You know, I went back and went over the OP word for punctuation and I could not make out heads or tails of the year, type of rig, or anything else. So for the life of me try as I might I cannot asssssssssssssume whether the battery was overcharged, undercharged, inner charged or outer charged. He asked about a battery recommendation. That part I got straight.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
. Get one with those fantastic warranties...96 months or whatever.
Yah.. then overcharge it all you want!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
For as little time as you claim you are going to use the battery, an el cheapo Costco engine starting battery will work fine. Get one with those fantastic warranties...96 months or whatever.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
I put my battery charger on a timer so it only comes on an hour or so a day.
bumpy
Do you have a timer on the converter output between the converter and the battery or is this a separate charger?
If separate, can you have an active converter and external charger connected at the same time?
I was concerned with overvoltage from the charger.

I have a multi stage bass boat charger connected directly to my battery.
bumpy