cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a device

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
What can be had to show when my brake lights are activated on my toad. My ‘kit” came with an led and a lot of wire to splice into the brake wiring and run to the front of the motor home. Don’t want to have to keep unplugging each time and running any more wires. So what can send a signal about 40 ft and let me know?
19 REPLIES 19

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
The kit is a ready brute elite II. Packaged with everything you need. the toad is a smart car, the rear window in the MH is a small bathroom window, can’t see much. Really cant see the toad with the mirrors. When I’m braking, really want my eyes forward, not looking back. Rear view camera would show a light, but again want eyes to the front.

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't say what kind of "kit" you have, but on my Roadmaster system, once you install the led on your dash, it's only one wire that needs to be connected at the hitch.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you could get a little 12V red light to stick on the car dashboard and wire it in to the brake light circuit (with a switch and/or connector to disconnect when driving the vehicle normally, of course). Seems to me that could be more readily visible than a little mirror, at least any mirror that doesn't also block the brake light significantly for other drivers. If the towed vehicle has a trailer hitch itself, you could plug the auxiliary light into the trailer light connector there.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
If you can see even part of your toad in a mirror, you can run a "light pipe" from the back side of the tail light to the point where your mirror sees. You just have to figure out how to attach it temporarily to the body.

How bout a little dental size mirror or a white bicycle reflector? As TOW said, it's the attaching that's gonna need some thinking. A cam activated suction cup or something that clamps into the trunk or something that mounts with the screws holding the brake light lens in. Wonder if one of those suction cup style side view mirror extenders would hold. Mind, it's not facing the correct, aerodynamic direction. But if it will stick, you could cut off the mirror and replace with something small and less wind catching.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If you can see even part of your toad in a mirror, you can run a "light pipe" from the back side of the tail light to the point where your mirror sees. You just have to figure out how to attach it temporarily to the body.