cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

newbie trying to understand MT50

blueh20
Explorer
Explorer
I have an MT50 digital control for my 40 amp commander controller.
Recently I had the entire solar system off with battery out.
After turning it back on(yes plugged charge controller in first) and getting things working I notice the the MT50 is showing 3.4v coming from the panels to the controller even though at this time I have the panel disconnect switch disconnected(panels disconnected from charge controller).
Van is in the garage, reads the same day or night.
Is this normal or should I go in and change the MT50 parameters to "0"V when the pv is disconnected.
thanks
5 REPLIES 5

blueh20
Explorer
Explorer
my xantrex is set up through my shunt.
I am trying to understand how the Ah reading works, that shows up on my xantrex also but I dont have a clue what it means or how to decipher the meaning.
I have a 255 Ah battery, what should the AH reading be at full charge? somewhere close to 255

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
I'd expect a solar panel in a garage on a sunny day with door open to put out a few volts. I can get 10.5v from mine parked under a streetlight.

The panel does not have to be in full direct sun to produce voltage, and might even produce near its max voltage in cloudy skies, it will howevernot come close to producing its short circuit current unless cold and in direct sun.

The MT50 to my knowledge does a lot of inferring as to battery state of charge, by guessing after looking at voltage. it is not a real battery monitor so take its readings as to battery state of charge,with a huge grain of salt and more than a little skepitism.

I have a Shunted battery monitor and completely disregard the battery % remaining screen, and only trust the Ah from full screen if I have recently reset it when I have verified full charge by other methods.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

blueh20
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Tom, ok, you mean when I have it outside on a good sunny day use my voltmeter and try to touch the connection where the positive and negative panel wires are entering the charge controller?

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't make any changes. There may be some voltage bleeding back through the controller. When you are back out in the sun, connect the panels and measure the voltage at the panel input contacts and compare it to the remote reading.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN