Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no noise generators

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
hello fellow campers.
with some parks up here now banning generators, some in designated areas and some outright, and the fact that getting a electric serviced site is getting harder and harder during peak season, has anyone tried these new power supplies
back up power
theres this company and another

other company

keep in mind prices are in CA dollars, they are probably 1/4 the price in the US.

Just wondering if this is a possible solution to running a generator, it may not run the A/C very long but up here we can get by without that and the microwave, and run the fridge on propane, just need the lights and electronics pumps, fans and maybe some music for a 3 day weekend. perhaps the tv for a movie on a rainy day.

if you have one let me know how it works for you.
Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.
Rug rats grown and gone, just me and my beautiful little lady.
72 REPLIES 72

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
valhalla360 wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:
Regardless of the thread title, how big will the solar/battery system have to be to match a 2000w generator putting out 1500w continuously for 23 hrs out of a 24 hr day?

A 2k gas generator will only run so long on a tank of gas and they differ in run time..A 2K solar generator also will only run so long on a full battery..Both run times depend on the load/both have to be refueled/charged to run 23 hours..Extended gas tank or extra batteries will run longer..

They both have 2K inverters..

I see no difference in power output,just how there refueled..

2k Honda inverter gen and Igen 2200 here plus the solar stuff..JMHO

That's why I specified 23 hours out of a 24 hour day, so it allowed a couple of short down times to refuel.

So describe what a solar generator capable of similar performance would look like.

what camp site will let you run a generator for 23 hours. up here you are limited to 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours around supper and they are even claming down more. lots of places have no generator policys. thats why I went pure solar.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
jaycocreek wrote:
So describe what a solar generator capable of similar performance would look like.

HUGE...LOL..

I here 'Ya...If a guy was smart he would buy a Wen 2K inverter generator on Amazon for $342 and be done with it but the op ask about quiet,no noise at all,alternatives..

From the post, the OP doesn't appear to have a good understanding of what's involved, so misleading advertising makes it sound great but could lead to disappointment. This is where I take issue with many of the proponents of "green" systems. In realty, they often hurt the cause by not acknowledging the limitations.

That's why I've pushed posters who are very positive towards them to answer the question because it's a huge reduction in capability while costing far more.
- If you have minimal power needs, a solar/battery system can work and can be a good option. (not necessarily these prepackaged battery packs)
- If you are expecting anything close to what even a small generator can do, you will be sadly disappointed.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
relaxin wrote:
I do have a quiet 2000 watt suitcase style generator but as I said some parks, and its becoming more parks slowly but surely are banning generators.

For a 2or3 (or 4) day weekend I want to run some 120v stuff, fan, a cpap, and have the availability of the tv if needed, I looked at upgrading my house battery, it will function all the basic 12v stuff, (keeping in mind to save enough power to bring in the awning and 2 slides when packing up) but it does nothing for the 120v stuff we want/need to run. so the length of time is not infinite or even extended, charge it up toss it in the truck and go. any longer trips are planned well ahead and reservations made with the desired hook ups.

perhaps I will look into a couple batteries and inverter, but having to deal with a multitude of components over and over and over might not be worth a thousand dollars of savings, to permanently mount it do I want the extra weight and lost space for the 75% of the time when I don't need it. Its a tough call. one advantage to a unit like one of these is I could use it at home during a power failure so I won't need to run my generator all night during a storm for the sump pump. So I suppose it may have other uses.
The ons I have linked to are in a range of sizes so sizing appropriately I may not need a large one, I should do is by a watt meter plug in and run a test doing some back yard camping, only run what I would if I had one of those and see what the demand is, and then look at the cost of units with say 25% to 50% more to allow for degradation.

Thanks for the input.

Did I read the original link wrong, or was it not over $7k CAD for 300 aH of battery capacity and a built in inverter?
I don't know how yo could ever spend anywhere near that much on a pile of LiFE batteries, inverter and wire/hardware.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
. So describe what a solar generator capable of similar performance would look like.

“You’re going to need a bigger boat ……..”

Or in this case RV, to fit all that solar on the roof. LOL.

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
I do have a quiet 2000 watt suitcase style generator but as I said some parks, and its becoming more parks slowly but surely are banning generators.

For a 2or3 (or 4) day weekend I want to run some 120v stuff, fan, a cpap, and have the availability of the tv if needed, I looked at upgrading my house battery, it will function all the basic 12v stuff, (keeping in mind to save enough power to bring in the awning and 2 slides when packing up) but it does nothing for the 120v stuff we want/need to run. so the length of time is not infinite or even extended, charge it up toss it in the truck and go. any longer trips are planned well ahead and reservations made with the desired hook ups.

perhaps I will look into a couple batteries and inverter, but having to deal with a multitude of components over and over and over might not be worth a thousand dollars of savings, to permanently mount it do I want the extra weight and lost space for the 75% of the time when I don't need it. Its a tough call. one advantage to a unit like one of these is I could use it at home during a power failure so I won't need to run my generator all night during a storm for the sump pump. So I suppose it may have other uses.
The ons I have linked to are in a range of sizes so sizing appropriately I may not need a large one, I should do is by a watt meter plug in and run a test doing some back yard camping, only run what I would if I had one of those and see what the demand is, and then look at the cost of units with say 25% to 50% more to allow for degradation.

Thanks for the input.
Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.
Rug rats grown and gone, just me and my beautiful little lady.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II

HUGE...LOL..

I here 'Ya...If a guy was smart he would buy a Wen 2K inverter generator on Amazon for $342 and be done with it but the op ask about quiet,no noise at all,alternatives..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
jaycocreek wrote:
Regardless of the thread title, how big will the solar/battery system have to be to match a 2000w generator putting out 1500w continuously for 23 hrs out of a 24 hr day?

A 2k gas generator will only run so long on a tank of gas and they differ in run time..A 2K solar generator also will only run so long on a full battery..Both run times depend on the load/both have to be refueled/charged to run 23 hours..Extended gas tank or extra batteries will run longer..

That's why I specified 23 hours out of a 24 hour day, so it allowed a couple of short down times to refuel.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just wondering if this is a possible solution to running a generator, it may not run the A/C very long but up here we can get by without that and the microwave, and run the fridge on propane, just need the lights and electronics pumps, fans and maybe some music for a 3 day weekend. perhaps the tv for a movie on a rainy day.

if you have one let me know how it works for you.

On subject and not joking around..LOL

I have a Bluetti eb70 that would do just that..700 watt hours or like 55 amp hours..It has a wireless charger for cell phones and a couple USB ports plus a 12v regulated cigarette lighter socket and two 110V electrical sockets for up to 700 watts..

I use this all the time for TV/DVD/lights and fans..The wireless charger for my phone is very handy..Lifepo4 cylindrical cells for power,same type as Battleborn batteries..

It works great
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II

Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
Maybe start a new threat and see if there is any response.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
The problem is they are intentionally using misleading terminology to sucker people into thinking a small battery pack will do what even a small generator can.
The link says 3000 watt-hours. Do the math. 300 watts = 10 hours

Very intentional.

Silent gasoline generator still produces nothing.

Funny how you keep dodging the question.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Remember your post title…power stations don’t “generate” anything. It’s a trick marketing word.

Boy am I glad someone said this !

A gas generator needs gas and oil to produce electricity!
A solar generator needs sun or electricity to recharge it's battery to produce electricity!
They both produce clean electricity!
Neither will work without gas/oil or solar/electricity.
They both achieve the same goal,producing electricity..
One makes noise the other is silent.

So a solar generator achieves the same outcome as a gas generator.

LOL
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
The problem is they are intentionally using misleading terminology to sucker people into thinking a small battery pack will do what even a small generator can.
The link says 3000 watt-hours. Do the math. 300 watts = 10 hours

Very intentional.

Silent gasoline generator still produces nothing.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
jaycocreek wrote:
Everyone saying how over priced they are should chime in with there actual cost for there system that they use....There not cheap to do it right..

Lol

325 watt 24V split cell panel 200.00
40 amp charge controler 240.00
wire screws etc 40.00
320 diy LiFePO4 battery
(if built today ) 370.00

total 840.00 but realy the cost of never running out of power, and not making noise in the camper is priceless. I havent added an inverter yet as I don't need one in the camper, but realy should your primary battery and inverter and such realy even be included in this, your going to have thoes weather you use a generator, solar or what ever so that cost is going to be in both builds.

so with out the battery it cost me 480 to add solar to my camper, and I could easialy add another panel for another 200 bucks and power a 5th wheel with a bigger battery bank. my 40 foot 5th had 480 watts of solar and four 6V batteries and I never run out, but I am spairing with the 110 use in that. coffee pot in the morning and night, limited microwave use, and only 1 move a day for the kids if the weather is bad.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
time2roll wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Nope, if the "solar generator" is putting out 1500w continuous, it's putting out 1500w continuous regardless of the hum it makes doing so.
Check the thread title again.

"no noise generators"

That would imply the gasser is not running.

:R
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold