cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Power unless plugged in to shore power!!! Please Help...

HeathJohnson
Explorer
Explorer
Okay... So I have a 2010 Springdale 260 SRT.

I have power when plugged in but nothing from the batteries.

What I've done so far.

No blown fuses in electrical panel.
No thrown breakers.
Replaced fuse and housing on frame rail because of corrosion.
Disconnected ground wire, sanded everything nice and pretty and replaced.

Both batteries show over 6 Volts on my multi meter. (dual 6 volt set up)

I'm headed out tomorrow night with the scouts and it would sure be nice to have power back again.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Heath
27 REPLIES 27

westend
Explorer
Explorer
It seems like someone did point you towards the breakers.

The actuality of RV 12V is that it needs periodic maintenance, as you found out. Good luck going forward and I'd suggest you invest in some anti-corrosion spray or grease.
bikendan wrote:
probably tripped the resettable circuit breaker that's tucked in along the A-frame.
look for a little silver/gray block that has a tiny black button.
push it to reset it.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

HeathJohnson
Explorer
Explorer
After replacing the circuit breaker in the first picture I now have power again. I will be pulling off the other one and replacing it in the next week or so as well so that they're both new.

HeathJohnson
Explorer
Explorer
westend

I didn't know these were circuit breakers. The only circuit breaker I was familiar with prior to today was the kind in the panel inside the camper, you know, like the ones in my house.

Instead of assuming that anyone knows about theses maybe ask if they were aware of them...

Byrogie

I saw that, I thought that meant the battery terminals which are in awesome condition.

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
Hiking Hunter wrote:
Check, clean and reseat the cable connections to the batteries - including the cable connections between your 6 volt batteries.

This was the first response.....

westend
Explorer
Explorer
What do you think? Do those look like good connections?

Also, you were advised many posts ago that you may have a problem with a circuit breaker.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

HeathJohnson
Explorer
Explorer
Could these rust buckets be the problem by chance?

Its been a while since I fiddled with it now, but with all of the testing that we did I'm down to this is all I can think it is now.

HeathJohnson
Explorer
Explorer
Nope. Just taken a break from fiddling with it. I'll poke around on it again tomorrow or Monday after work... Got tired of messing with it again.

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
I think the OP left with his Scout troop already. Hope he found the problem.

I still hope he checked the batteries for corroded connections first, before proceding with further troubleshooting. This is a very common problem with a camper that has been sitting up for a while. I've seen many times when someone assumes the battery connections are good because they stuck their meter probes to the terminals and saw voltage. This doesn't take into consideration the battery connection itself and can lead their troubleshooting astray.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
Since many hours have passed with no word from OP and many rescue floaties (posts) have been sent we can only assume OP has drown.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First your batteries are not a "Dual Six Volt" setup or rather they shoudl not be, They shoudl be a 12 volt 2 piece set up, Like this -{6v}+-{6v}+ = 12 volt

Think of them that way

now, tool, You need only one for this job, a 12 volt automotive test lamp, this is a device that looks like an old fashion ice pick with a wire coming out of it, a light bulb is inside the clear or colored but transparent plastic handle.

Step one: hook clip to battery Positive post. touch tip to battery negative (Ignore the jumper that connects the two batteries, go for the wires that run off to other than the other battery) Bright light good. dark bad.

Now touch tip to unpainted metal frame part.. Again Bright light good, Dark - problem with ground lead, Touch ends of ground wire, clean and/or re-do bad connections.

All good (So Far) move clip to any good metal frame/chassis point, test by touching Positive post of battery, Now move out along the POSITIVE wire. If you find a device test both terminals, if it has 4 test the large ones. (forget the small ones for now) When ever you move the clip re-test the last known good point.

You can extend the ground (clip) wire if you wish as well

Problem is between BRIGHT and Dark.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced fuse and housing on frame rail because of corrosion.
Disconnected ground wire, sanded everything nice and pretty and replaced.

I'd suggest to check continuity in both these locations.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check the fuses with a meter or by looking at them? Looks can be deceiving.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
probably tripped the resettable circuit breaker that's tucked in along the A-frame.
look for a little silver/gray block that has a tiny black button.
push it to reset it.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
If you did have a disconnect switch, and not know about it, would you know where to look for it?

I'd check for battery voltage at the in/con/verter.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.