cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No Reception on TV

ENG2242
Explorer
Explorer
I looked for the standard on and off switch to activate the antenna. However, I cannot find one and Iโ€™m not able to utilize my TVs through my antenna. Any suggestions?
David Hartmann
2018 Bighorn 3870FB
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 5.9
Prodigy 2
Auto-Slide Hitch
Firestone Air-Bags
17 REPLIES 17

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
ENG2242 wrote:
Update, the power booster switch was actually located in the very front of the RV inside the closet with the other satellite and coax connections. Crazy! Iโ€™ve never seen one located that far away from the TV.

I have and I'm not a RV service technician.

The switch provides DC to the booster (which is in the antenna Head)

Once the signal is boosted you can run a fairly long Coax run so the switch can be anywhere.

When I wired my parent's house #2 for Tv I put the booster at the antenna head (built into it) fed it power from the basement and then ran coax via a network of splutters to every room in the house (Save 2 small rooms) 4 bedrooms (one in basement) Living room (2 points) 3 more points in the basement and kitchen.

Worked great. No switch though since no "park cable" option. Just Channel Master's #2 Signal Sucker (antenna) with mast head amp.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ENG2242
Explorer
Explorer
Update, the power booster switch was actually located in the very front of the RV inside the closet with the other satellite and coax connections. Crazy! Iโ€™ve never seen one located that far away from the TV.
David Hartmann
2018 Bighorn 3870FB
Prodigy 2
Auto-Slide Hitch
Firestone Air-Bags

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
jkwilson wrote:
The best place to install a booster is as close to the antenna as possible. For that reason, most are in the bedroom very close to the antenna.

You are half right.
The best place to install a Booster is indeed close to the antenna. And the very best place is INSIDE the antenna itself. and that's where Winegard put it.

What you have in the wall is the power inserter/switch/splitter.. A multi function device that provides 12 volt power to the booster
Selects Ant or Cable and splits it for the front and rear TV (and optionally TV 3)

What I have.. (I put in the Sensar Pro) is a 2nd booster.
it does all the above.. adds more boost. and a few other features as well.

ENG2242
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I didnโ€™t respond sooner. I had to pull out of the campground due to flooding and relocate temporarily. I am back now and set up and settled in again. After speaking with heartland I started looking through every nook and cranny of this RV, I found the switch in the very front of the RV inside the closet against the front wall. Thank you all so much for your input, I sincerely appreciate it guys. David
David Hartmann
2018 Bighorn 3870FB
Prodigy 2
Auto-Slide Hitch
Firestone Air-Bags

ENG2242
Explorer
Explorer
I
David Hartmann
2018 Bighorn 3870FB
Prodigy 2
Auto-Slide Hitch
Firestone Air-Bags

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok there are basically 3 kinds of switch and a few different antennas

NOT ALL Have a switch but on a 2018 I'd be very surprised if it did not

Type one is the good old wall plate. Light, Switch, 12 volt outlet

A variation on that is a wall plate with TWO digital displays and a row of LED's between them it has 3 buttons the top button is the switch

Next is a wall plate with a switch, and in fact this can be any kind of switch and need not be on a wall plate either ...

My OEM was a Box of Many buttons (Technicial name matrix switch Winegard calls it a Video switch or Antenna switch)

If you can not find it... Turn off all 12 volt Disconnect cable from antenna head (If visible) hook up a cable tracker from Harbor Freight and beep beep beep your way to knowledge.. NOTE Very handy device!!!!! It has found several things for me.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Not all RVs have antennas with amplifiers and those would not have a button.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
'Booster' is in the head of the antenna

On/Off switch allows DC to go up coax cable to antenna and turn on the amplifer (booster)

Typically a wall plate a TV cable connects to......bedroom cabinet/behind Main TV etc

IF you have a Box of Many Buttons (BOMB) turning it ON turns on the booster
Turning it OFF allows for cable/satellite
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
OP appears to have either given up, or found it? Update?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
mine is like bucky's and inside the upper right cabinet while facing the front.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best place to install a booster is as close to the antenna as possible. For that reason, most are in the bedroom very close to the antenna.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
If this is a Heartland RV, the owner's manual says
"Television Viewing

Set TV to proper reception mode โ€“ go into the menu function of the TV and select either โ€œairโ€ or โ€œcableโ€.
Antenna โ€“ Make sure TV booster is turned on (in bedroom TV cabinet) for โ€œairโ€ reception.
TV booster needs to be in the off position for the park cable signal to be passed through to the TV.
Tune channel as needed.
Audio can be routed through the Audio System by turning radio to โ€œauxโ€ input (โ€œFNCโ€ button)."

I believe the OM on their website that I took this from is a "general" version for multiple unit types.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

ENG2242
Explorer
Explorer
I have torn this place apart looking for the booster switch. No luck. I know what to look for as this is my 6th RV.
David Hartmann
2018 Bighorn 3870FB
Prodigy 2
Auto-Slide Hitch
Firestone Air-Bags

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
The other option is to post your unit make and model so someone else that has the same one can direct you to it.

The OP has his RV listed in his signature - he needs help on his 2018 Bighorn 3870FB
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System