cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

non powered 8000 btu heater with through the wall exhaust

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just what a boondocker who wishes to heat with propane needs. It even has a thermostat. It is available at Amazon for a lower price--but the write up at Home Depot is better. I believe it is lower cost than the unvented (and hence UNSAFE) wave catalytic units.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ashley-Hearth-Products-8-000-BTU-LP-Gas-Direct-Vent-Heater-AGDV8L/2061651...

Use and care manual:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/59/596984a9-53a6-41f3-a93d-85c9bf4945c9.pdf

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
39 REPLIES 39

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

That would put efficiency below 60%. I think that is unlikely. One could always add a 12 volt fan to the mix and that would almost certainly extract more heat.

The nice parts are that it does have a thermostat and is vented.

tpi wrote:
It probably contributes about the same amount of heat as a 1500 watt electric unit. Possibly slightly more. I find this a perfectly usable amount of heat in my RV for some conditions. Anyway I think this gives a comparison we can relate to.

I get around 65% efficiency for the 8000 BTU to equal the 5140 BTU of the 1500 watt electric. That may be a tad low, but I doubt it is over 70%. Even the most efficient non-condensing furnaces are about 80%

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Lessee. Gas.

$3.54 gallon.

Times

140%

$5.66 gallon

Methinks my love affair with my Olympian hath been renewed...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

That would put efficiency below 60%. I think that is unlikely. One could always add a 12 volt fan to the mix and that would almost certainly extract more heat.

The nice parts are that it does have a thermostat and is vented.

tpi wrote:
It probably contributes about the same amount of heat as a 1500 watt electric unit. Possibly slightly more. I find this a perfectly usable amount of heat in my RV for some conditions. Anyway I think this gives a comparison we can relate to.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
How are your guest accommodations? Got extra room? What airport should we fly into?

* This post was edited 11/17/15 06:14pm by hawkeye-08 *

One slight annotation:

The dress code is Polyester over Kevlar

Now there's food for thought. :E
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
How are your guest accommodations? Got extra room? What airport should we fly into?

* This post was edited 11/17/15 06:14pm by hawkeye-08 *

One slight annotation:

The dress code is Polyester over Kevlar

tpi
Explorer
Explorer

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
According to the manual the rating is INPUT rating. Then it says "The efficiency rating of the appliance is a product thermal efficiency rating determined under continuous operating
conditions and was determined independently of any installed system." but it doesn't give the efficiency rating. I would be surprised if it was as high as 80%. A lot of technology goes into achieving 80%+ efficiency.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I lived too long at 6,800 ft altitude. Too many aching fingers and toes. Too many snow blower handle, blisters. I learned to hate snow shovels, having to wash 30 lbs of clothing a week versus two lbs down here. The world of black & white. Intense poconip fog, visibility five feet, temperature minus ten F.

It got so cold, that I unplugged the refrigerator freezer. Two feet from the back door for refrigeration in boxes, right against the back door for freezing.

Start the car, let it warm up, hit the defroster in full-out, and it would make a saucer size clear spot in the windshield. Could not haul groceries in the bed. Lettuce, celery would mush, canned foods and bottles would burst. The nearest serious shopping was a three hour trip each way.

Black ice, black mood. Having to park the vehicles in the yard or risk getting smacked by the Michigan snow plow.

My main worry now, is the ice cream and did I remember to get sun block.

Dress code. Red Black Blue Green or Yellow shorts (white shows Mango juice too much). Color coded tee or polo shorts. Socks? I bought some maybe a dozen years ago.

Propane? Yeah I bought a hundred pound cylinder's worth around April of 2013.

Last electric bill was 243 pesos for 2 months. $14.82
(Because of the fans) next one should be $150 pesos $9.15 for TWO months.

Tonight, fruit salad Mangoes, Pineapple, papaya, cantaloupe, watermelon, and llaca. Topped with fresh unsweetened Mexican cream and brightened with wild desert honey.

I've paid my dues. Arthritis does not hurt from too much heat. Let the Slope Dopes frolic in frigid bliss. Our ocean beach water temp was 78 degrees here, and Jesรบs told me Las Peรฑas water was 83F last Friday. Reminds me, I've got some lobsters and a huge yellowtail filet in the freezer.

Any "heater" I come across will be in print. An obsolete crime novel about the mob.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I lived too long at 6,800 ft altitude. Too many aching fingers and toes. Too many snow blower handle, blisters. I learned to hate snow shovels, having to wash 30 lbs of clothing a week versus two lbs down here. The world of black & white. Intense poconip fog, visibility five feet, temperature minus ten F.

It got so cold, that I unplugged the refrigerator freezer. Two feet from the back door for refrigeration in boxes, right against the back door for freezing.

Start the car, let it warm up, hit the defroster in full-out, and it would make a saucer size clear spot in the windshield. Could not haul groceries in the bed. Lettuce, celery would mush, canned foods and bottles would burst. The nearest serious shopping was a three hour trip each way.

Black ice, black mood. Having to park the vehicles in the yard or risk getting smacked by the Michigan snow plow.

My main worry now, is the ice cream and did I remember to get sun block.

Dress code. Red Black Blue Green or Yellow shorts (white shows Mango juice too much). Color coded tee or polo shorts. Socks? I bought some maybe a dozen years ago.

Propane? Yeah I bought a hundred pound cylinder's worth around April of 2013.

Last electric bill was 243 pesos for 2 months. $14.82
(Because of the fans) next one should be $150 pesos $9.15 for TWO months.

Tonight, fruit salad Mangoes, Pineapple, papaya, cantaloupe, watermelon, and llaca. Topped with fresh unsweetened Mexican cream and brightened with wild desert honey.

I've paid my dues. Arthritis does not hurt from too much heat. Let the Slope Dopes frolic in frigid bliss. Our ocean beach water temp was 78 degrees here, and Jesรบs told me Las Peรฑas water was 83F last Friday. Reminds me, I've got some lobsters and a huge yellowtail filet in the freezer.

Any "heater" I come across will be in print. An obsolete crime novel about the mob.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Mex

I like your idea best. ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Stock # Item Description Price Qty Order
Items Presented Above
79-1830 ATWOOD 2 STAGE XT DUCTED FURNACE - 15,000 BTU AND 22,000 BTU...Regularly $882.00 On Sale for Only $576.97
Manufacturer #: 38591 $576.97
79-1831 ATWOOD 2 STAGE XT DUCTED FURNACE - 23,000 BTU AND 34,000 BTU...Regularly $1002.29 On Sale for Only $689.95
Manufacturer #: 38542 $689.95
79-1832 ATWOOD 2 STAGE XT DUCTED FURNACE - 25,000 BTU AND 40,000 BTU...Regularly $1104.99 On Sale for Only $697.85
Manufacturer #: 38541 $697.85
Links to Related Items( Click on Description for Pictures & More Info )
79-8346 ACCESS DOOR FOR ATWOOD XT, 8500IV, & 8900 - COLONIAL WHITE...Regularly $107.09 On Sale for Only $60.20
Manufacturer #: 33754 $60.20
79-8749 ACCESS DOOR FOR ATWOOD XT, 8500IV, & 8900 - POLAR WHITE...Regularly $111.29 On Sale for Only $60.20
Manufacturer #: 33756 $60.20
79-1896 EXCALIBUR 8500 IV FURNACE - 35,000 BTU - 8.3 AMPS - DUCTED...Regularly $961.59 On Sale for Only $579.97
Manufacturer #: 37635 $579.97

Lessee...If I kept the old heater and used the dough to lose latitude, it means...

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
JiminDenver wrote:
As someone that camps at elevations that make portable heaters not a option, this is the best solution to being able to boondock in colder temperatures and not have all of the solar and battery to make sure you don't freeze.

The noise of the furnace fan rarely wakes me up but it is usually a comforting thing knowing the furnace is doing it's job and I drift back off to sleep happy. When it does bother me is when we are trying to watch TV and have to turn it up and down as the furnace comes on and off.

This would let us warm up the trailer with the furnace and then let the little heater keep it that way quietly.

Why spend the extra hundreds of dollars for a vented heater to supplement the existing propane furnace? Instead, replace the existing propane furnace with an RV propane furnace that finally "gets it right".

This 2-stage propane furnace uses on average less battery power and less propane and runs quieter - depending upon how cold it is outside, how well insulated one's RV is, and what temperature one wants the living quarters to be at. IMHO, all RV's should come with these propane furnaces instead of the good old Atwood single speed and loud RV furnace: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-furnaces/rv-furnaces-atwood-excalibur.htm
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
As someone that camps at elevations that make portable heaters not a option, this is the best solution to being able to boondock in colder temperatures and not have all of the solar and battery to make sure you don't freeze.

The noise of the furnace fan rarely wakes me up but it is usually a comforting thing knowing the furnace is doing it's job and I drift back off to sleep happy. When it does bother me is when we are trying to watch TV and have to turn it up and down as the furnace comes on and off.

This would let us warm up the trailer with the furnace and then let the little heater keep it that way quietly.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The co production soars when the O2 levels drop, further the catalytic continues to run when O2 levels are dangerously low. In that sense a blue flame is somewhat better.

You are also missing the point. It is not just CO that is a problem. There are other combustion by products that are nasty, too.

Then there is the lack of a thermostat. So the Wave heaters that folks wish to inflict on themselves are....too cold, or too hot.

Further moisture build up is high when using any unvented heater.

Finally--why have all the heat escaping through an open window and open roof vent? That's nuts.

BTW my daughter is a CO survivor. I will NEVER use an unvented combustion heater.

pdogg wrote:
True Catalytic heaters (like the Wave) do not produce very much CO.. why does this keep coming up?

The risk in using them is Oxygen deprivation.

The OP must be talking about Infrared radiant heaters, like the Mr Heater Buddy.
Regards, Don