cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Now have 3 tires @ 2 seasons old & one new

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just had to replace a damaged tire on our TT that has 2 seasons of use and is 1.5 years old. Was planning to replace them at about 5 years old. So if I left it as is, along with a never used spare, would I replace all 4 tires at the 5 year old point? Or would it have been better to replace the damaged tire with the never-used spare and use the new tire as a spare? Not sure if it makes sense to replace the one tire that is only 3 years old at the 5 year point? Or does everyone just do a "batch" replacement of 4 tires at the 5 year point and forget about it? (Forgetting about total mileage at that point.)

FWIW, our TT had over 2,000 miles put on the tires from Indiana to the dealer on the west coast by the delivery guy so they were already partly used when we got the TT. Have maybe around 8K miles on the TT so far so about 10K total.
9 REPLIES 9

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Decide when it is time. You may lose two more by then....

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm surprised with all the mods you made to the trailer that you would still have factory ST tires on it.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:

I do 5 yrs. on my FW tires.
As suggested....new tire becomes spare

'Mechanical damage'
Passenger/curbside front axle tire?
Curbs will cause sidewall damage

Many years ago when I went from TT to FW found out FW tracks 'inside.
Whacked a few 'obstacles' when making right hand turns at first...then got used to 'wide turns' :B

An upper shock mount came loose and was flopping around against the tire and cut a bad groove on the sidewall (luckily did not cause a blowout or worse). Really bad welding job by a frame & suspension shop sub-contracted by our dealer. Have had all 4 shock mounts repaired now and are out the cost of a tire as well. The other 3 remaining shock mounts peeled right off with a crowbar and those would have eventually failed too.

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
dclark1946 wrote:
What kind of damage to the tire? Hit something or blowout?
I am assuming these are ST tires. If so, 3 seasons is all you should count on.

Dick

Yes, ST tires. Mechanical damage, rather not get into detail. Shop stated on receipt for me: "damaged beyond repair - scrap".

I thought some say you can do up to 5 years depending on mileage and if they're taken care of. I'm picky about doing all the right stuff including religious checking of air pressure before each leg of a trip.

According to Discount Tire, in 3 years 30% of an ST tire strength is gone. Five years is the absolute maximum life with 3 years being more conservative.

Dick
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
myredracer wrote:
dclark1946 wrote:

Dick

Yes, ST tires. Mechanical damage, rather not get into detail. Shop stated on receipt for me: "damaged beyond repair - scrap".

I thought some say you can do up to 5 years depending on mileage and if they're taken care of. I'm picky about doing all the right stuff including religious checking of air pressure before each leg of a trip.

I do 5 yrs. on my FW tires.
As suggested....new tire becomes spare

'Mechanical damage'
Passenger/curbside front axle tire?
Curbs will cause sidewall damage

Many years ago when I went from TT to FW found out FW tracks 'inside.
Whacked a few 'obstacles' when making right hand turns at first...then got used to 'wide turns' :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
dclark1946 wrote:

Dick

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer

Dick
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
j-d, thanks for the input. Yes, that makes good sense. The new tire is from March 2015 and the others from Aug. 2013. I shoulda thought about this before and will have to get the tires swapped so that the new one becomes the spare. Not a big deal except the shop is at the other end of town.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Given what you've got I think I would:

1. Run on that New Tire

2. Mount the Never-Used Spare

3. Put the WORST of the one on the ground to SPARE - by Date Code if nothing else - The Spare won't be much more serviceable after Five Years as Never Used than it will be IF Used. The rubber still ages, even if not visibly.

4. When you replace the set, if the tire you just bought is less than 5-YOA, consider it as a spare, otherwise replace them all. You don't want to lose a tire with 100 to go and install a spare that blows at 50.

About Date Codes - Find them and jot them down. You're likely to find out that the TIRES are much older than your RV. The coach warranty starts at Date Purchased. The tire warranty might, too, but they are still the AGE of their Codes. Don't hesitate to ask for fresh date codes when you buy tires, and don't hesitate to refuse aging ones.

My experiences:

1. Good-looking old tire on daughter's college car. Looked nearly new but tread separated. Didn't damage the car, but triggered the fuel cutoff. She could change the tire but couldn't find the cutoff reset. Car had to be towed.

2. Bought a new van, ran original four tires till they needed replacement. Put the Never Used Spare on along with an AGED New Tire like it. Those tires were 8-10-YOA at that point and wore out in half the miles the originals did. Rubber just wasn't fresh. At least neither blew out.

3. Bought a used Class C with unknown tires. Planned to buy new, drove to work (so I could take it from there to the tire shop) before the sun heated the road surface. Tire blew on the way to work! Tore up the fender skirt, knocked sewer dumps an fender skin loose. SEVEN new tires that day!

Remember, a blowout of ONE tire will cost more in coach repair that a SET of new tires...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB