cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ONAN 5500 @ high elevations

Team_Roper_Heel
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I will be heading west in September. Overnighting around 9000'. What do I need to address to insure optimum performance. We currently live around 1,500'. Thanks for the help.
2016 3605 Voltage
17.5 wheels, modified leaf springs
2020 GMC 3500 Denali
DRW Crew Cab Duramax 8' bed
8 REPLIES 8

Team_Roper_Heel
Explorer
Explorer
Thank y,all for the information. We are just overnighting in the Rockies on the way west bound to Yosemite. I was just curious about having to adjust the carb. Thanks again for the help
2016 3605 Voltage
17.5 wheels, modified leaf springs
2020 GMC 3500 Denali
DRW Crew Cab Duramax 8' bed

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
To clarify, the adjustment they are referring to is inside the cover of your 5500 and is clearly visible.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
roam1 wrote:
Turn the carb adjustment to 10,000 and enjoy,

Yep! That's what it's for. Just don't forget to turn it back down to the proper altitude when appropriate. There is a danger of overheating/damaging the engine if you forget and don't.

Chum lee

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
Turn the carb adjustment to 10,000 and enjoy,

Mbiviano
Explorer
Explorer
What Ed said X2. I wouldnโ€™t worry, not like youโ€™re running the AC units. I donโ€™t have issues running my 3k gen for microwave, etc. at that altitude.
Mr Wizard is right, it can get cold that time of year but run your furnace and youโ€™ll be fine.

Mr Wizard-some of us are gluttons for punishment and spend the winter at 9k ft just to ski :).
Matt
2015 Forest River Wildcat 337FB Bunkhouse
2015 Ford F350 CC SRW PSD LB
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog

MrWizard
I going to ask the question others are thinking
Are you going skiing, are you a glutton for punishment
Or maybe just a "dark sky" astronomer

Why in the world overnight at that altitude and cold temperature
Better keep the furnace on and the cabinet doors open
Or be winterized

I went thru Flagstaff Az in Nov one year (I think it was 1996) In my First class A
AND THAT WAS COLDER than I wanted to be, and that is not as high as you want to do
Sept in the Rockies ? At 9000ft is freaking COLD
I FROZE my wavos at night at 7000ft in the Searres in July in a tent at 30ยฐ
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 9000 feet you more than likely wonโ€™t need A/C. An adequate solar system will provide you with good battery recharge capability...no need for the generator almost every day.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Team Roper Heeler wrote:
My wife and I will be heading west in September. Overnighting around 9000'. What do I need to address to insure optimum performance. We currently live around 1,500'. Thanks for the help.

Gasoline powered generators do have a carburetor altitude adjustment,,,if you have a gasser....

Effects Of High Altitude And Extreme
Temperatures
If you travel at high altitudes or in extreme temperatures, your generator can lose power. In such lower-density air conditions, you canโ€™t operate as many electrical devices as you could under normal operating conditions.
Power decreases 3.5% for each 1,000 feet above an altitude of 500 feet. For example, to operate at 4,500 feet (4,000 feet above rated generator altitude) multiply 3.5% x 4 (4,000 ft) = 14% power loss. Then multiply .14 x your generatorโ€™s power rating: 4,000 watts x .14 = a loss of 560 watts at that altitude.
Power decreases in extreme temperatures by 1% for each 10ยฐ F (5.5ยฐ C) above 85ยฐ F (29.4ยฐC).
NOTE: The carburetor on a non-EFI gasoline generator may require adjustment at high altitudes. (See your Operatorโ€™s Manual or your Cummins Onan Authorized RV Service and Parts Dealer.)
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad