cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan spark plug

vcbutton
Explorer
Explorer
Simple question: What size socket is required to remove the spark plug from my gen set?
Without America. there is no free world!
5 REPLIES 5

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
It's a 13/16ths, a true spark plug socket has a rubber insert in them, make sure you are pushing it on all the way, they can be a little tight when not used a lot. I just changed mine in a 3600lp Microquiet. I am having starting problems also, only starts after a lot of cranking.

vcbutton
Explorer
Explorer
It's an Onan microquiet 4000. 5/8" is too small, 11/16" is too small, 3/4" is too small, 13/16" is too big ... Could it be metric? Perhaps I can get the heat shield off so I can see the whole plug. Access is a little awkward. This all stems from failure to start. It would start and run a few seconds, now it doesn't even try. It is getting a good spark from the wire terminal. The genset has only about 125 hours. Meanwhile, I'll check gas line. Thanks for your suggestions.
Without America. there is no free world!

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a Microquiet 4000, I believe the spark plug it uses is the Champion RN14YC (similar to the Onan plug). Tighten it to 13 ft-lbs. Gap is 0.025. This plug has a 13/16" hex drive.

If you have a different generator, then the information above is useless to you!
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Most spark plug sockets are one of two sizes: 5/8 inches and 13/16 inches.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are the Model Number and Spec Code of your GenSet?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB