cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Open ground fault on EMS when using generator

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to use a Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X portable surge suppressor with my 2000watt inverter generator.
The EMS shows me an error code E2 (open ground).
Progressiveโ€™s tech support says that bonding the neutral to the ground will clear this condition, and you can use the little 3 light outlet tester to confirm this.
So, do I just need to go the hardware store and get a 3 pronged plug, and strap together the neutral and ground lugs with a simple jumper, or does there need to be some other component or connection made besides that which Iโ€™ve described?
Thanks!
Bob
7 REPLIES 7

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
As has been said, the plug as you describe will do the trick.

I don't know that there's much if any need to use the portable EMS with an inverter generator, however. The voltage output should be steady, and there's nothing to produce surges. My solution in this case (as it's a portable EMS model) would be to simply not use it with the generator.

agreed, especially for a portable EMS.

For us it's easier to just use the bonding plug rather than remember to turn off the onboard EMS system, and then remember to turn it back ON when we hook to shore power. It's the not remembering to turn it back ON that could get one into trouble.

If it is an external EMS, probably easier to just not dig out the bonding plug and EMS.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Bob there is no need for the PI unit when running the generator. Some generators void the warranty on PI.

VERY important if the OP's genset happens to be a Yamaha EF2000iS. :E
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bob there is no need for the PI unit when running the generator. Some generators void the warranty on PI.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
The jumper in the plug did the trick!
Problem solved!
Thank you!
Bob

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
As has been said, the plug as you describe will do the trick.

I don't know that there's much if any need to use the portable EMS with an inverter generator, however. The voltage output should be steady, and there's nothing to produce surges. My solution in this case (as it's a portable EMS model) would be to simply not use it with the generator.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
bmwbob wrote:
I am trying to use a Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X portable surge suppressor with my 2000watt inverter generator.
The EMS shows me an error code E2 (open ground).
Progressiveโ€™s tech support says that bonding the neutral to the ground will clear this condition, and you can use the little 3 light outlet tester to confirm this.
So, do I just need to go the hardware store and get a 3 pronged plug, and strap together the neutral and ground lugs with a simple jumper, or does there need to be some other component or connection made besides that which Iโ€™ve described?
Thanks!
Bob

basically what you describe. buy a 3 prong plug, internally tie neutral to ground with a #14 wire, put it back together, put a label on it so you khow what it is and plug it into one of the generator outlets.

NEC doesn't allow neutral and ground to be bonded in a sub panel, and by NEC code, a trailer panel is a subpanel.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, it's because on a generator the ground and neutral is not connected together like those that are hard wired.
You just need to make a plug (like you described) that has the Neutral and ground shorted together and plug that into the gen or RV.

This is timely, I just installed an EMS in our new TT and need to make one of these plugs. Thanks for the reminder!!