cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Optima Batteries - Yellow or Blue

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
My deep cycle 6V batteries have served me well for over eight years but it appears it's time for a replacement.

I would like to get them off of the hitch and use sealed batteries somewhere inside the trailer.

After watching the Optima video, I'm still a bit confused over which is the best application; the yellow or the blue?

Any other brand you might recommend as well?

Thanks in advance.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog
22 REPLIES 22

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The Optima yellow has a .035" spiral would plate. The same thickness as a Pep Boys automobile battery. Out of 16 or so calls for battery help on cruising sailboats ninety percent involved group 31 Optima batteries. A Lifeline has a .105" plate. The Optima is made near Monterrey Mexico so is it widely available. Hope this helps.

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Optima batteries are a poor choice when capacity is important. Most any other deep cycle AGM battery will be better. LifeLine and Concorde are the gold standard, but if budget is an issue, I would recommend Renogy 12V. 100AH deep cycle AGM batteries available on Amazon.....with free shipping for Prime members. Incidentally, Optima blue top are specified at about 55 AH, I believe.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Qtla,

jkwilson hit this dead center. While Optima and "Rolled Cell" AGMs are great cranking batteries, there real capacity is lacking due to the packing factor of the cylindrical cells.

Go with Lifeline AGMs and put them anywhere you want. Before you buy, look at Power Stride. When I bought these for clients, they were a great supplier in all ways possible.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Though Optima batteries are physically very rugged and great for what they are designed for.. they are **NOT** a good choice for RV use.. Rather go with LIFELINE AGM. All the advantages of Optima and nearly 50% more capacity for any give size.

Why is this?

Look at the optima. Now imagine it is in a box (THe box it comes in) how much AIR is in that box.

Now look at any 12 volt Maintenance free battery on the store shelf. HOw much air is in THAT box..

The Lifeline AGM. unlike the OPTIME AGM. is all battery, no air.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
The construction of Optimas makes them great for handling bouncing and vibration, but it isnโ€™t efficient use of space so they end up being much smaller capacity than other batteries. The cylindrical cells waste space.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
I'd go with Lifeline over Optima, which I feel,are not suited to deep cycle use. That said, I've had good service from Full River.

I agree. Go with the Lifeline AGM's over the Optimas for deep-cycle use. Can be installed anywhere you want it/them.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
Since the guy in the video says that the Blue is for marine and RV use, I would go with that.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with Lifeline over Optima, which I feel,are not suited to deep cycle use. That said, I've had good service from Full River.
-- Chris Bryant