cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable solar panel

boulderado
Explorer
Explorer
We're not doing much off-the-grid camping, but occasionally we venture off the beaten path and promptly run out of juice with our Interstate class 27 deep cycle ๐Ÿ™‚

We're considering making some upgrades to the trailer (including solar panels, a better converter, AGM etc.), but aren't quite ready to commit (wife might want new trailer instead).

So in the meantime I am looking for a portable panel that will keep the battery charged up enough to run the fridge 24/7, water pump and a few halogen bulbs at night. We're mostly out here in the West so plenty of sunshine during summer months.
Knut and Susan FMCA 351422
[black]'18 Keystone Cougar 24 SABWS[/black]
[black]'19 Ford F-150 XLT FX4 SuperCrew Ecoboost aka Big Red[/black]
[black]Blue Ox SwayProยฎ Weight Distributing Hitch[/black]
39 REPLIES 39

red31
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:

100W Renogy suitcases come with low-end controllers and poor SAE connectors (used to be Anderson connectors). As an easy introduction to solar it will probably work.

:?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Count on spending 25-35 AH a day on fridge, lights and pumps. Battery gives back only 80% of what you have put in. So the panel should harvest 10-15% more because some of this energy will go into battery in daytime and then will be taken from battery in the night, with losses. In other words, you need to harvest 35-40 AH.

100W is the bare minimum. In May-June, and if tilted, and if rotated towards the sun couple times a day, and if in the open space, it should harvest 30-35 AH a day in Denboulder area.

Too many "ifs" to my taste.

100W Renogy suitcases come with low-end controllers and poor SAE connectors (used to be Anderson connectors). As an easy introduction to solar it will probably work. You will need to do some assembling/wiring after you've unboxed it.

Upgrading to LED lights is very desirable, in this scenario.

Upgrading to AGM will not add any capacity. The only benefits would be slow self-discharge if you leave them unattended for +3 months, and the ability to handle high loads - that you don't have anyway.

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
School of hard knocks...

An ice chest keeps veggies crisper and nicer 3X as long. Wish a Pelican would drop a 70 quart YETI on my roof (sigh)...

I bought the smallest Yeti (the first above the Roadie), and I can barely lift it EMPTY! So, good luck with that 70 Qt. on your roof!! Er, I mean, on the floor, once it falls through your roof! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I plan to keep it in the backseat of the truck, OR chained with an alarm cable under the trailer...yes, I bet that Yeti would definitely develop legs and take a walk.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
School of hard knocks...

An ice chest keeps veggies crisper and nicer 3X as long. Wish a Pelican would drop a 70 quart YETI on my roof (sigh)...

I would much rather have my rv fridge and freezer.... we stopped carrying coolers years ago...you gotta find a place to store them, usually in the way anyways...gotta go get ice for them...so then you gotta carry it to the vehicle to go get ice or by the time you bring the ice back, it's already starting to melt.And then if you put it outside, you gotta worry about it walking off...by animals or people (had someone take ours from underneath a TT). Fridge on propane and a little battery power for the panel os so much easier....
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
School of hard knocks...

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Quote:
Good points. Definitely both will help conserve your batteries
---------------------------------------------------------
Here I thought the question was about portable solar panel !
Buy a used suitcase, lots for sale. People hate them after they have them a short while
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
boulderado wrote:
So in the meantime I am looking for a portable panel that will keep the battery charged up enough to run the fridge 24/7, water pump and a few halogen bulbs at night.

Since conservation is the name of the game when dry camping could you not run LED bulbs instead of halogen? :h

Also, if your fridge has a climate control circuit turning it off when dry camping will further conserve your limited battery reserve.

Good points. Definitely both will help conserve your batteries.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
boulderado wrote:
So in the meantime I am looking for a portable panel that will keep the battery charged up enough to run the fridge 24/7, water pump and a few halogen bulbs at night.

Since conservation is the name of the game when dry camping could you not run LED bulbs instead of halogen? :h

Also, if your fridge has a climate control circuit turning it off when dry camping will further conserve your limited battery reserve.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
Renogy 100watt solar suitcase....

X2
M & N