cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power Jack

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. I have a very old power jack on a trailer that is permanent(until I give it away later this year) that is not working. I have power at the inline fuse. Tried jumping it but no go. Can't hear any motor noise at all. Anyone have experience trouble shooting these? I see two phillips screws on the underside of the cap and what looks like a hex head set screw. Would like to avoid getting new jack at this stage of the game.
6 REPLIES 6

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. The ground, hmmm... Did not think of that. UPDATE Removed motor and the ground was not tight, that is the ground from the switch. Only accessible inside the motor housing. Cleaned every place the that metal came together and tightened the ground screw. Its working. In the end I think the ground relies on the two hex screws that stabilize the motor housing. Probably should have run a new ground out of the housing to the trailer frame...Well it is working now.

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
Check for a good ground. They are usually grounded through one of the mounting screws onto the frame - often with a "star" washer under the flange to help make a good connection. Either take out the mounting bolts and clean up where the mounting flange touches the frame, or run a ground wire directly from a bolt on the motor head to the frame or battery.....
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Might also try manually cranking the jack to make sure it's not frozen up.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the switch and try to bypass it. That would be my first guess. At least it would narrow down the possible problem(s).
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah right I am not going to put a new power jack on it. BTW what capacity hand crank jack would I need if replacement is neccessary? It is a 31 foot TT no slides. I still want to explore the jack see if something has corroded or otherwise can be fixed. Anyone else out there?

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably burned out from sitting way too long. Get a cheap manual jack or simply take it off and place in the garbage and let the next person you give it to figure out how to jack it up. BTW a basic hydraulic jack would be my suggestion.