cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shower dome moisture

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
The other day the DW noticed some drops of water on the shower dome between the exterior dome and the interior cover. My first thought was- do I have a leak?

Checked out the roof, couldn't see any obvious problems but put Dicor on some small surface cracks.

Removed the interior cover and found the inside of the exterior dome was covered with water. My conclusion is that moisture from the shower gets up into the space between the dome and the shower cover and then condenses on the surface of the dome.

Pardon me if I am using incorrect terminology. The dome is attached to the roof and the shower cover is attached to the ceiling.

Should the shower cover have been sealed to prevent moisture from the shower from getting into the space between the cover and the dome? Seems to me this would just trap any moisture that was there and not solve the problem.

Any thoughts?
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory
7 REPLIES 7

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have dried it out and put it all back together. I'll watch it and see what happens.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Same type problem, dome was old and cracked around the edges. Had it replaced, and resealed, cured problem.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same situation on our last rv. When I inspected I found that where the screw holes in the exterior dome was there were cracks. I took it off, dried it out (not too much of an issue here in New Mexico) and reinstalled and resealed it. Problem went away.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours was like that when we got our motorhome. DH took it apart, cleaned, let dry and resealed everything. There was some type of seal between the 2 pieces that he repaired/replaced.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too had a lot of moisture in my bathroom skylight just as you stated. Thought it was just condensation from humidity. Wrong. After a very strong storm noticed a pool of water in the shower. Went on the roof and sure enough while there was lots of sealant around the skylight I could see the edges working their way though. Put some Duck Waterproofing Tape all around it until I can get it professionally resealed. I may take the opportunity to replace it as it is 13 years old and sun damaged.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
I have never had problem with that much condensation in my trailer. So I suspect you have a real condensation/humidity issue that you are not dealing with. Leave windows open, run the AC, get a dehumidifier and run it 24/7. Any or all of these things should pretty much take care of your problem.

You are probably right, we have had record rains here. The wife suggested that I work on plans to convert the MH into a boat.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never had problem with that much condensation in my trailer. So I suspect you have a real condensation/humidity issue that you are not dealing with. Leave windows open, run the AC, get a dehumidifier and run it 24/7. Any or all of these things should pretty much take care of your problem.