cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

power supply replacement help please

Transam1
Explorer
Explorer
Well the power converter failed on my 06 Zinger it is a wfco 8935. I ordered in the whole distribution box as I heard this was an easier replacement. I got a good price off e-bay for a new one but it came with no instructions. Is this a simple installation ? Is there just a few wires that i transfer from the old to this one to get her running ? I know I saw a video some time back showing how to do the swap step by step but cant find it now. I tried you tube but no go. Cant remember if it was there or on this forum. Any help would be appreciated, its a 35amp unit.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
9 REPLIES 9

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Transam1 wrote:
Figured I would use my cell phone to take bunches of pics as I went along and would color code each wire as I removed them. Will let you know how my adventure goes. Probably tackle it this weekend.
Thanks to all for your assistance.
Chris

Put the whole back for sale on ebay and get either a Progressive Dynamics with pendant or Itoa. Nothing to hook up DC + usually red and DC - usually white or it could be black + white - or red + black -.
AC black hot, white neutral, green ground. Pretty much the reverse of removing the junk WFCO.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

Transam1
Explorer
Explorer
Figured I would use my cell phone to take bunches of pics as I went along and would color code each wire as I removed them. Will let you know how my adventure goes. Probably tackle it this weekend.
Thanks to all for your assistance.
Chris

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, you could change out converter only.
However, inspect your current power distribution panel for burnt places on the buss work where breakers plug in.
Look at the fuse holders. Are they glass fuse holders in existing 12 volt DC section? Are the fuses all tight in holder? Does the new section has blade fuses?
If any portion is in doubt and since you have complete unit change it out completely.
Take pictures before you start. mark the wires good.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Transam1
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
OK you bought the whole box. Still easier to just replace the converter portion.

Or have that person that suggested the whole thing to help.

Having said that, could I not just take the converter
out of this one and transfer it ? Would that be a simpler
solution than the whole box ?

Transam1
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Is this what you need/
WFCO 8900 manual

I think that would do it.
Thank you very much.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
OK you bought the whole box. Still easier to just replace the converter portion.

Or have that person that suggested the whole thing to help.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is this what you need/
WFCO 8900 manual

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

westend
Explorer
Explorer
At the least, you'll need connection to 120V power for the converter and connection to 12V battery and distribution bus. The 120V power should be protected by a circuit breaker and the 12V wires from the converter section connect to the 12V distribution bus and to the battery.

These connections are probably marked on the new box you have. 120V will have 3 wires, line voltage, neutral, and ground. Conventionally they would be colored respectively--black, white, and green.
12V output from the converter, conventionally is-- Black (+), and White (-) to battery and the distribution bus. This may all be connected to one metal stud or there may be two sets of wires.

Post back to this thread if you have any questions.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Moved from Forum Technical Support