cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PREVENTING FROZEN PIPES

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
Our MIL has no power in her struck and brick hone since the past Sunday at 6am...supposed to be back on by Saturday they say...

No way to get power into the house...has a gas fireplace going on first floor but the problem is trying to figure out a way to prevent frozen pipes in her house especially in the basement...

Any tips or suggestions?????

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

16 REPLIES 16

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
M,

With data from both the outage and street maps, it is difficult to get real good information that I would need.

If she is on a well, you need a generator that can power the pump. That may be 220V. If on city water, just let it trickle.

If you can get a generator anywhere, do it. She is headed into some cold before the promised power restoration.

Wish her luck, she is going to need it.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
If she is on a well running the water is not an option as she would not have electric to run the pump. For what repairing plumbing would cost I cant see why people don't buy a small generator to run the furnace. Harbor Freight has small Genny's 900W starting at $130 and 4000W at $340Give her a christmas present.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any heat in the basement is good. It will eventually radiate up thru the house as opposed to the main floors radiating outside.

Careful on assuming the furnace has a 120 fan. My squirrel cage is spun by 220. :E

My experience with fireplaces are unless they have a good heat exchanger they suck the air out of the house and blow it up the chimney. Better than nothing, but next to being a poor option for heat.

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
This is the MIL we are talking about and she gives stubborn a new meaning...

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget the drains if there is a possibility of the house reaching <32f. A bit of antifreeze in the traps and the toilets will get you by without draining everything. Disconnect the washing machine and dishwasher hoses, as well.

Maybe this would be a good opportunity to get a new Honda generator. As Piano said, all you need for forced the air furnace is one 120V cord. When my power goes down, I have a 5500W genset that will keep all the essentials operating.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Open the door to the basement. Run the main floor as hot as the fireplace will manage to do.

Is the water heater working too? If so, turn up the heat setting.

Set the taps on the hot water slid to drip constantly and the cold water taps to the minimum for a steady stream.

If you can find a way to run a cord to the furnace from a generator--it would be a good thing.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
MIL is in Burton (next to Flint)

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are in Southgate. Where is MIL??
If she is on city water, the letting water run will work. It comes out of the ground around here are about 50ยฐ.

DO NOT try to drain the house plumbing!
In Michigan, only rural houses on wells are built with that consideration.

Matt - actually in New Boston
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
My basement is underground. We showbird and kill the heat in the house. My memory thermometer has recorded the lowest temp as 37 degrees. The pipes there should not freeze. The upstairs pipes in the walls may freeze if it gets cold enough. I would drain those pipes. If the house heats with hot water in baseboards, drain that system too...if no antifreeze in them.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Spent Thanksgiving camping in WV with temps into teens and single digits with the wind...as stated, I turned on water faucets to keep water trickling....never got a frozen line and that was in my 5er....When a kid, my dad use to do the same thing at our home when temps dropped well below freezing....It works...all you need is a trickle.....
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Measure the actual basement tempurature. I am thinking the frost may not get that deep.

Otherwise I would recommend one of the propane catalytic heaters with O2 and CO sensors in place.
Should have IMO a CO sensor upstairs anyway with a fire going 24/7.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
If her basement is mostly underground and the upstairs is above freezing there should not be any frozen pipes. Unless the basement is not sealed up well and cold air is blowing on a pipe someplace.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Canuckistani
Explorer
Explorer
wgriswold's got it. Crack the faucets, and let them dribble. Open the cabinet doors under the sinks, and let whatever little bit of warm air might be in the house into the space where the pipes are.

Alternatively, look if there is a shutoff valve & drain where the water comes into the house. Shut off the main valve, then open the drain (have a bucket handy!). Open all the faucets, and drain all the water you can out of the house lines.

Then cross your fingers. How cold is it supposed to get at night?
2009 Chevrolet Suburban LT2
2014 Dutchmen Aerolite 282DBHS

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
Kerosene heater inside an enclosed space requires ventilation if I am not mistaken...which in my eyes defeats the purpose (unless I am wrong here)