cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane smell after filling

jpratt2
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all: We're presently on a trip though Idaho and Utah. I had the propane topped up at an RV park and now several hours later there's an odor of propane on the outside near the tank despite having driven 100 mi. No smell inside.
I've noticed this before after fill-ups. Is this common?
Also, I have to admit being rushed during the full-up and (like an idiot) did not shut off the tank main valve first. Could this be an issue?
We're avoiding using any propane appliances until I figure this out.
Thanks in advance.
14 REPLIES 14

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Vendor opened bleed vlave when filling...vapor came out then when reaching FULL (80% level) LIQUID spewed out. Vendor closes bleed valve/stops filling

BUT liquid propane (Mercaptan) residue is ON TANK......so you smell it for a while.

What he said

X2 but it is pertinent to make sure the bleeder and main valves are closed.

Do not over tighten them especially the main valve. Had a propane jocky do that on one of my tanks which ruined the valve and made tank useless.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First Propane has no odor. they add a chemical to it to make it stinky for safety reasons (Essence of Skunk as I recall).

When they fill the tank they open the Visual OverFill indicator Valve.. Sometimes called a "Spitter" valve for short.. Now I've read many posts that have me shaking my head about what this valve is for (No truth to 'em at all) but here is what is is for.

The valve is at the 80% full point.. Propane. under the kind of pressure they pump. is a liquid.. It evaporates at nearly -40 when the pressure is reduced.

Thus about an hour ago as the Pump Jockey filled my tank it vented GAS. not AIR but Propane Gas.. Yes it is flammable.. But it was GAS. Then suddenly it started spitting liquid, which instantly vaporised and condensed water making white FOG. at this point the Pump Jockey shut off the fill valve, shut the spitter valve and unhooked. Some additional LIQUID escaped when he disconnected.

This means some of the Chemical additive got on things around the tank and it will take a bit to evaporate So long as the odor fades.. You are good.. Increases are NOT GOOD.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jpratt2
Explorer
Explorer
Update...it's a leaking tank...pinholes from rust. Having it drained at a propane plant now. Check your tanks for corrosion everyone! Thanks for all your suggestions!

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
X2 Old Biscuit
Dennis Hoppert

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Vendor opened bleed vlave when filling...vapor came out then when reaching FULL (80% level) LIQUID spewed out. Vendor closes bleed valve/stops filling

BUT liquid propane (Mercaptan) residue is ON TANK......so you smell it for a while.

What he said
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Use soapy water to check for leaks. If no leaks found then it is just residual smell. I always get propane smell after a fill up but it goes away soon.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
LPG odorant concentrates in refinery processing lube oil. One day in Lee Vining, CA. I emptied the oil out of a pot that saw a lot of use in Mexico. Those were the days when the dump would magically catch fire once a week. The oil was dumped on cardboard. Not a drop hit the earth.

Move kleige lights and boom mikes...

Fire department responds to emergency. "Massive LPG leak at disposal site"

Methyl Ethyl Mercaptans hold the Guinness Book record for the smelliest stuff on earth.

So...when leak testing is inconclusive check for oil stains near the filler and 10% valve. Clean with smelly carburetor cleaner followed by alcohol.

jpratt2
Explorer
Explorer
Yes...on-board horizontal tank. Thanks...I tightened it a bit more...hopefully that's the issue.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
Then my bet is the guy who filled the tank did not close the bleed valve completely

X 2 also happens on the 20 LB tanks too.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Then my bet is the guy who filled the tank did not close the bleed valve completely
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
His profile shows he has a 29' Bigfoot class C.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe got filled too full, and slowly bleeding off as the temperature rises ?

Like said above, make sure the bleeder valve is off tight.

Remember, a tiny bit of that smell goes a long ways.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Permanent tank or refillable cylinder
Could the filler not have shut the bleed valve completely
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind