cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about power for overnighting

RnTBnB
Explorer
Explorer
I tried the search feature, but I didn't find what I am looking for. My wife and I travel with a 5er and we do not have a generator, so overnighting on a parking lot in hot weather is not an option for us. What setup would I need in order to be able to run a fan in the bedroom all night and a coffee maker the next morning? Running the 13.5 BTU AC in the bedroom overnight plus the coffee maker the next morning would be even better, so what setup would I need to be able to do that?

Thank you in advance for your input.
Robert, Teri, Buddy, & Bitsy
2014 Infinity 3610RL 5th Wheel
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic Duramax/Allison
68 REPLIES 68

jayw900
Explorer
Explorer
That's why I stated using it for the bedroom. Trying to cool the whole rv with just a window a/c is not a very good idea. It's an option but only RnT can decide if it's right for him.
Sent from my laptop with 100% renewable electrons.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP's 3610RL 5'er is probably not going to be kept very cool with only a window A/C.

A generator is needed for an A/C that will deal with that size RV. There are RV's that you can buy new that have A/C units that run hours and hours off their coach battery banks, but these RV's are not large in interior volume and they are not affordable by mortals.

As for coffee, I heat instant coffee in a titanium cup sitting directly on a propane cooktop burner ... nothing to wash, clean up, or throw away before or after sitting down to enjoy the cup. Since I can't tolerate the taste of naked coffee from anywhere made by any means, with enough sugar and cream my instant tastes just like the real deal that's enjoyed by others, anyway. 😉
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
This subject is coming up from time to time. Yes, you can "run" A/C without generator or tons of batteries, but this is more of a stunt. You can only run it for a short time.

Window A/C = 320AH @12V if run non-stop for 8 hours, or 160 AH if cycling 50/50. This requires 400 AH bank, considering Peukert effect and other 120V loads.
And, if you want to do the same in daytime as well - increase the battery bank to 800 AH.

jayw900
Explorer
Explorer
Also, that 3200 watts assumes always on compressor, which in practice should be a bit less over the course of 8 hours.

jayw900
Explorer
Explorer
If you just want to cool the bedroom, and have the right Windowsills , consider a window a/c unit. A 5k btu unit would use around 400 watts(verified with killawatt) making it far easier to run off batteries and an inverter.

Running eight hours from 10 to 6 would be 3,200 watts total before inefficiencies. Of course you would have to put that wattage back during the day. Another option depending on if you want to try out the deep end in the future.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Without generator:

Get a couple of GOOD fans like FanTastic. This will keep you comfortable until outside temps hit 84-86.

Make coffee on stove top. To run microwave and coffee maker you need at least 300 AH battery bank @12V and 2,000W-3,000W PSW inverter.

Or get solar 1500W or more, and plenty of batteries. Then you will be able to run A/C. To run A/C in the night, you will need at least 800 AH battery bank @12V.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Chopperbob wrote:
Solar

Really? If he completely covered the roof with panels he might make 4500 Watts. To balance that he'd need at least 10 Golf Cart batteries.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
RnTBnB wrote:
.. we do not have a generator, so overnighting on a parking lot in hot weather is not an option for us.
That statement is confusing, for sure. I guess one might conclude that with the ability to run air, a parking lot would be an option...?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
He did say he would be overnighting in a parking lot.

LOL....now you want people read, and comprehend prior to replying!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Running the AC overnight plus the coffee maker in the morning will require either a generator, or a campground hookup, or a battery bank too massive and expensive to contemplate along with a very large inverter., not to mention a generator, or a campground hookup to recharge those batteries. Which is why most folks wanting to do what you want to do just buy the generator and skip all that other (expensive) stuff.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
He did say he would be overnighting in a parking lot.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Cdash
Explorer
Explorer
For coffee without power, we use one of these:
Coffee maker

We have a couple battery powered fans for warmer nights. Got them at Wal-Mart and they run off a couple D batteries.

Like others said:

If you want Air Conditioning, you need a generator
To run fans (110 v) you can add a second battery and inverter

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Either stay home, or buy a generator if you want to camp in hot weather.
And face reality, you DO NOT run anything w/ a heating element when dry camping, unless you join the "big straps" and have 1000 watts of solar, and a huge inverter, and a huge battery bank.

+1
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
A quick back-of-the-envelope sort of computation puts running an air conditioner all night (assuming it runs constantly for ten hours) at somewhere around 15+ kWh. A GC2 battery has very roughly 1 kWh usable energy storage, maybe a bit more, so running the air conditioner all night would likely require a dozen or more batteries, and a quite heavy-duty inverter...and of course some way to charge a dozen or so batteries during the day.

This sort of thing is the reason why refrigerated trucks or trailers generally have a little diesel-powered cooling unit to keep them cold.

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
Solar