cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Really stupid question cc directv/satellite, etc

SuGar_Shack
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, people. I am TOTALLY confused when it comes to television. Here is what we have in our house:

Genie Gen 2
HR44-200

I am wondering how to get Directv in my RV. I'm assuming I need a Winegard. My son told me that this receiver is high def and I would need a high def portable satellite. Is that true? Thanks, Susie
Gary & Susie
2006 Dynaquest Super M320
300 Cat 6 spd Allison
2010 Ford Edge Limited Toad
32 REPLIES 32

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
If you want HD in your RV with your directv you will need a HD capable dish and they get expensive. I have HD directv at my house. My receiver is HD but is not a Genie, but works well in the 5wh, just no HD. I have a cheap automatic Winegard dish on my 5wh. I pd $300.00 for it and mounted it on the roof. It's not HD and I do have to go into settings on the receiver & change it to 18in dish size. I flip a switch to put 12 volt power to the dish and after it picks up the signal I switch the power back off and it's already to watch. It's pretty simple. The picture isn't quite the same quality of picture as HD at home but it's not too shabby.
Moose

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Only cost a dime more to go first class. Buy a Winegard Trav'ler I have $1200.00 in mine complete and love every minute of it. Now if you like playing in the rain setting up your dish, go another route.
Dennis Hoppert

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
To be clear there is no additional charge to take our HR44 in the MH. But when I need new locals I have to call or chat to change the service address.

A second RV account is in fact a complete and different account and going down that route basically means double the cost.

And both Winegard and RF Mogul have automated SWM dishes and in the price range of $1500+.

And for full disclosure: I don't have a Genie 2. I've only read that it's the newest greatest gadget that is a server and a client that support 4K shows. I believe the HR54 also has 4K capability.

Personally other than bragging rights I see no reason for 4K in a RV. And I believe it's also questionable with my 55" TV at home.

And if you don't want to change your service address you can subscribe to DNS which means you get either NYC or LA locals. Many posts on this also.

Lots of fun to sort out what is right for you. Then get the right equipment and hit the road. :B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a HD44 receiver and move it to the RV when we travel. You could take yours or the Genie 2. The Genie 2 is more involved to move because you have to move the server and the client. Both require a SWM capable dish and you'll have to check to make sure that the RV dish is 4K capable if you plan to take the Genie 2.

I have a RF Mogul automated dish which is SWM and it works great with the HR44. All of the recorded shows move with the HR44. Or you can buy, setup and aim a portable dish but again it must be SWM capable.

Now what will DTV say about 2 receivers at different location - your in violation of the contract. Hint take the HR44 and the Genie 2. Or you can have a second DTV account for the RV - Many posts on this subject.

Are you aware that once the RV leaves the local area you will no longer get your local stations - ie ABC, NBC, etc? Or any locals? And then once you change your service address to the RV location you get their locals and IF there is a receiver at home it will no longer get the local stations. ie When you change locals the account changes for all receivers. ie Once you drive across the country getting locals Grandma at home will get error messages. Many post on this subject.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
SuGar Shack wrote:
As I understand it, Directv isnot crazy about taking your home receiver and putting it on your RV. They want to charge you more.

We take our receivers with us to Florida each winter and have a dish and tripod we keep in the RV. We do not pay more and when weโ€™ve had difficulty getting all the stations they come to our site and adjust it for is. When we get home, we just plug back in, give them a call and we are back in business.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do the same as the Sandia man.

Got the dish and power inserter off Amazon and the tripod stand from Radio Shack before I think it went out of business.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
DirecTV is soon to be no more. All that will be left is DirecHDTV. So right now you need a DirecTV or DirecHDTV receiver and a disaster recovery kit (About 50 bucks from Direc last I knew)

The problem is I do not know if they still sell the disaster recovery kit (if not you can "home brew") or if it does HDTV.

The disaster recovery kit consisted of a standard DIREC Dish type Antenna (That's the Dish an lnb) A Tripod and some pipe (2" mast) and coax cable (RG-6)

You can often find the proper dish on Craig's list or somewhere like. IF your dealer won't sell you one. the Tripod, mast and coax at any home improvement store.

Beyond that you need instructions and a Sat Finder App. Winegard has a good one for Android. That's about all

Remember UNPLUG receiver for a while before connecting or disconnecting coax cables. Blown receivers are not good (shorted out).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
With Directv your options are more limited than Dish since Directv intends to stop broadcasting SD channels soon making portable automated domes obsolete since currently none are capable of delivering HD channels from Directv. If you intend to stay with Directv you will need to get a Winegard Travler or the type of satellite antenna you have at home and manually point it after arriving to your destination.

Dish network HD channels can be readily received on most automated domes if you don't want to set up your satellite system, we have been back and forth between the 2 services over the last couple of decades to get promotional pricing. We found they differ very little as they have pretty much the same channels and pricing is similar as well after promotions expire. We are currently using Dish at home and in the RV.

With either service we have always set up our own satellite antenna, initially on a home made stand and currently with a tripod we purchased a few years back. We want full functionality like at home as we have 2 receivers in our rig and my DW and I rarely watch the same channels. We have been setting up our satellite system for so long it takes but a few minutes to have all our subscribed programming using just a $5 compass.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
..find the 101 satelite. A 500 dollar AIM meter, the exact same one Directv techs use is the best. But there are some lower cost options that work well.
The beeps are much cheaper.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had Directv for years. I switched to DISH so I could get a portable carry out dish for $400 that got HD. Pathway X2.

None of the carry outs work with the Hopper so I bought a $60 211Z for RV. I use a Hopper and a Joey at the house.

Glad I did, like DISH way better than DTV.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Total misinformation.
You can use a ground based dish assembly just fine. Does not have to be a Winegard. I bought my ground based open faced dish tripod assembly off of an internet reseller for less than two hundred dollars. To do so, yoh will need to learn how to set it up and find the 101 satelite. A 500 dollar AIM meter, the exact same one Directv techs use is the best. But there are some lower cost options that work well. For years I used a 200 dollar Align A Site that allowed me to set the dish anywhere and as long as I had a clear view of the southern sky got a signal in a hurry.
Yea, for around 2 grand you can put an automatic roof top dish on your roof. Had two, would never do it again. Problem is any trees blocking your line of site and you have no signal. Thus I used my ground based assembly probsbly 90% of the time. BTW Winegard is junk. RFMogul is a better product if you go that way. At least it can be serviced on your roof. Winegard makes you take it down and ship it to them.
In fact to the OP for the price of shipping I will give you a perfectly good dish tripod assembly and if I still have them the power inserter and splitter you would need to duplicate your home setup in your trailer.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
SuGar Shack wrote:
As I understand it, Directv isnot crazy about taking your home receiver and putting it on your RV. They want to charge you more.
That's a misunderstanding.

SuGar_Shack
Explorer
Explorer
Gary & Susie
2006 Dynaquest Super M320
300 Cat 6 spd Allison
2010 Ford Edge Limited Toad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
SuGar Shack wrote:
So, bottom line. I cannot use a portable Winegard for my Genie? Susie
I don't believe they support HD.

Mandalay_Parr