cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator 12V wire size

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
My truck camper has a 3-way refrigerator. Works fantastic on propane and 120v....but on 12v it has a hard time staying below 40 degrees.

The factory wire feeding it 12v is about 14g or 16g. Would running it directly from the battery (10' wire run length) with a #10 wire increase its performance?
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT
25 REPLIES 25

MrWizard
you can increase the wire size, but it won't help much

12v mode is meant for holding temp, while traveling with LP off
it is not meant as a full time cooling mode while parked

the 12v heating element is not as powerful, not the same wattage as the 120v heater or lp burner
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not just run it on propane, it's much more efficient.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Lots of TC's have three ways (fridges, I mean).
I would take a voltage reading while it's running and if there's a significant voltage drop, upgrade the wiring. Any drop in voltage is a drop in heat!

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Why re-wire it for 12V use? I've had my three way for 17 years and can recall only using the 12V setting once while driving to refill both empty propane tanks.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agreed with the others; heavier wire will help, running on propane will help a lot more (and not consume a lot of propane). Typically the propane burner is more powerful than the 120V element, which in turn is more powerful than the 12V element.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes I believe the #10 will have a measured improvement.
I would probably go #8 as long as I was pulling wire.
12v typically does not perform as well as 120v or propane but the poor connection is probably part of the reason.

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
Like Chris Bryant said, its really too keep food cool while driving. Using while dry camping will rapidly drain your battery.

Changing from 16ga to 10ga will decrease the voltage drop about 1V; I doubt this will make a significant difference in operation.

Regards,
Doug

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The 12 volt option is just to *keep* the unit cold- it isn't normally used except in transit, and after the unit is already cold.
Small models might have close to a full wattage 12 volt heater, but usually it is de-rated a bit.
-- Chris Bryant

JPeyton
Explorer
Explorer
Rbertalotto wrote:
It is three way....The switch on the front offers 12V / 120VAC / Gas

I just found this article:

Refrigerator: The 3-way refrigerator in most RVโ€™s like the Oliver can run off of 12V DC, 120V AC, or propane. While running off of DC, the Oliverโ€™s refrigerator requires a massive 15 amps of current (contrast that with the less than 2 amps required with 120V AC). To handle a 15 amp load, the refrigerator specifies 10 AWG DC wiring and maximum wire length of 20 feet.
This heavy current draw is why you should never leave a 3-way refrigerator running on DC power while stopped. The fridge can drain your trailer battery in just a matter of a few hours โ€“ and if your tow vehicle lacks a battery isolator circuit you could find that battery dead as well after a long lunch!

Located here:
http://www.technomadia.com/2008/06/rv-solar-electric-wiring-issues/

Guess I need to do some rewiring!

ok. So you're sure of your battery?

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
It is three way....The switch on the front offers 12V / 120VAC / Gas

I just found this article:

Refrigerator: The 3-way refrigerator in most RVโ€™s like the Oliver can run off of 12V DC, 120V AC, or propane. While running off of DC, the Oliverโ€™s refrigerator requires a massive 15 amps of current (contrast that with the less than 2 amps required with 120V AC). To handle a 15 amp load, the refrigerator specifies 10 AWG DC wiring and maximum wire length of 20 feet.
This heavy current draw is why you should never leave a 3-way refrigerator running on DC power while stopped. The fridge can drain your trailer battery in just a matter of a few hours โ€“ and if your tow vehicle lacks a battery isolator circuit you could find that battery dead as well after a long lunch!

Located here:
http://www.technomadia.com/2008/06/rv-solar-electric-wiring-issues/

Guess I need to do some rewiring!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

JPeyton
Explorer
Explorer
It's likely not three way, just two. Verify that first.

12vdc is usually used only to run the control panel.