Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refrigerator replacement ASAP

demort
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all
I probably should have followed my gut and turned on the fridge well in advance of our trip.
Now we are planning to leave in 2 days and my old Norcold 662 seems to have failed. We started it up this morning and smelled ammonia this afternoon. The divider between the fridge and freezer was hot too.
So - question of urgency - Does Camping World typically have replacement models on hand?
I've got maybe a day option to delay the trip, but we're heading from NY to MO to see the eclipse and meet friends. Can't quite ask the solar system to hold off while we figure this out.
46 REPLIES 46

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
demort wrote:
So I can have a cooler (ice packing for this trip)
Disconnect the 120 and 12 volt sources.

Will the ammonia be stable if I unplug power and just use as cooler?

I'm kind of thinking - if it's possible to temporarily swap it with a dorm fridge for this trip. I'd have to plug the propane line to pull that off though. I'm also thinking this will be a way less than ideal fit even for a 1 week outing.

I will call Bontranger like you're suggesting.

Big thanks for quick replies - You all are great help!

Unplugged (12 volt and 110), it's a rock and you could use it as a cooler. I think I'd put a block of dry ice in the freezer and use the fridge that way. Dry ice will last for many days (if you keep the door closed and no water mess at all.

We have hauled game meat across the country in big coleman coolers with dry ice in the fall with no issues at all.

Bontragers or Sullivan or even Outpost RV. I bought my RV from Outpost and they have a first rate service department and lots of items in stock and they do nice work, I highly recommend them. Nice thing about Outpost is, you can spend the night right on their lot. They have hookups and a RV parking area.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
national refrig shipshewana indiana for a frig. think this is another one pine refrig 465659707

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
do as MR.wizard says those guys are great. and buy a portable refrig freezer combo to get you there. cheaper than new and way cheaper than CW. Cw has a secret pass word. your EMG IS NOT THERE EMG.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
i think, i would leave now
stop in Elkart Indiana, and have one of the Rv places there install a new fridge
its monday, look them up on the web, make a few phones calls
set up an appointment
you will be 2/3 of the way there to your Mo destination
when you stop in Elkart

who built your RV ? are they in Elkart, even better !

Call Sullivan's RV.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

demort
Explorer
Explorer
So I can have a cooler (ice packing for this trip)
Disconnect the 120 and 12 volt sources.

Will the ammonia be stable if I unplug power and just use as cooler?

I'm kind of thinking - if it's possible to temporarily swap it with a dorm fridge for this trip. I'd have to plug the propane line to pull that off though. I'm also thinking this will be a way less than ideal fit even for a 1 week outing.

I will call Bontranger like you're suggesting.

Big thanks for quick replies - You all are great help!

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with Mr. Wizard. Call ahead and stop in Elkhart and get one installed while U wait. While U are waiting swing by the Amish beanery on 20 and have a feed.

I bet Bontrager has one. Give them a call. They are on 20 almost across from the Amish beanery.

If you smell ammonia unplug it from the 110 outlet and disconnect the 12 volt too.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup, follow your gut and check all systems two weeks in advance...1993 fridge?

I HATE those 1993 RV fridges! Always quitting on you...25 years later.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
GordonThree wrote:
Swap it for a dorm fridge, they're on sale right now for back to school. Once it's cold, it'll stay that way for a long time if you leave the door shut.

Or spend big and get a Dometic 12v fridge/freezer cooler from Amazon, two day delivery!

X2 on either of these. 12V compressor fridges cool down quickly. I bought a small Dometic portable and have been very happy with it.

Another option: use your non-functioning fridge as an ice chest. Buy ice along the way.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Swap it for a dorm fridge, they're on sale right now for back to school. Once it's cold, it'll stay that way for a long time if you leave the door shut.

Or spend big and get a Dometic 12v fridge/freezer cooler from Amazon, two day delivery!
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

demort
Explorer
Explorer
And this is a '93 Itasca Sunrise

demort
Explorer
Explorer
My local CW is closed. Maybe I should try one along the route.
And I suppose the coolers will be the plan B.

I'm in New York. Poughkeepsie Area.

MrWizard
i think, i would leave now
stop in Elkart Indiana, and have one of the Rv places there install a new fridge
its monday, look them up on the web, make a few phones calls
set up an appointment
you will be 2/3 of the way there to your Mo destination
when you stop in Elkart

who built your RV ? are they in Elkart, even better !
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would check with local RV shop. Some can get refers overnight.
You don't say where you are so cannot help with facility.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like coolers are the best option in your shoes. Then you can weigh all your options including a 12 volt compressor style fridge as well as another propane. But if you are going propane again I imagine the only way you are going to get that installed is if you do it yourself. If you can find a dealer that has one in stock.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never used CW for maintenance, but they don't seem to respond well to rush situations. Call several other RV places, they will usually respond better.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.