cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Relacing coil on AC

tbax46
Explorer
Explorer
One of my airs has a leak in the outside coil. Can the coil be replaced. I have already put a valve on and it recharged once. The another leak in the coil.
Reflection 337
Silverado 3509HD
USN & 'Nam Vet
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chris Bryant wrote:
I would replace it, and not with an Advent. Right now I like Coleman , Atwood, and the US built DuoTherm.

Ditto.. epically the not with Advant air comment.

Why.. Well that's what I repalced my Carrier Air V top unit with and though it works well, the design is poor making it very hard to clean.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I do not know where you can get replacement coils and such, but look at the ridiculous flat rate times ASA gives for replacement of components. Doug

http://www.advent-air.com/advent-air-returns

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I would replace it, and not with an Advent. Right now I like Coleman , Atwood, and the US built DuoTherm.
-- Chris Bryant

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
Can be changed out. I have done several but as other have said the leak in the coil can be fixed.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would replace the whole unit. One paid repair on an appliance is my limit.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
What material is it?
Copper is easy to repair without replacement, aluminium not so.
Repair or replace is economic question.
When repair shoots above 1/2 of new cost, it is easier to buy new.
Check internet pricing. It is very common in my area that $800 item can be bought for $500 from Canada or $350 from China.

tbax46
Explorer
Explorer
They want a bit over $800 for new Advent units aroun here...that's installed...I know the repairmen around here get 250 to charge it on house call...I've seen the coils for $100...
Reflection 337
Silverado 3509HD
USN & 'Nam Vet

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anything's "possible" but most of us replace the entire unit if there's trouble in the "sealed system" of Compressor, Evaporator, and in your case Condenser Coils.

I think the only way it could be cost effective would be if you had your own source for refrigerant and parts, and DIY or free labor. At retail for repairs, a whole new machine is probably less expensive.

These units use a capillary expansion tube, easily clogged. So you should add an inline filter/drier ahead of it. Also, the level of charge (amount of refrigerant) is critical. It holds a small amount and won't work efficiently very far above or below that level.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB