cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Repair broken spring wheel well damage (crappy trip)

csorba
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
This past week we broke a spring heading home and didn't notice it for a few miles.

We were 20 miles from home when my 6 month old son decided he needed to eat now, so we pulled onto an overpass and fed the little guy. My wife went to the trailer for a bathroom break and noticed the smell.I investigated and my jaw dropped:E, how did I not feel this on the TV.

We were already having a bad day, our other son (4 yrs old) was sick 5 times overnight, first night into what would have been a 5 night trip. Cut short so we could bring him back to see the doctor.

The broken spring allowed the tires to rub on the underside of the trailer. We have 3800 miles on this trailer bought new in 2010. No warranty left but I can't believe a leaf spring would break with that small amount of mileage.

It goes to the spring shop tomorrow to replace all of the springs and upgrade them from 2,200 lbs to 3,000 lbs. Even though I did a roadside replacement in 3 hours with not the correct tools, I am upgrading them all.

The tires ate through a thin piece of aluminum and then into the first layer of plywood. How would you repair this damage?

I was thinking of spray foaming the holes, screwing some thin aluminum plate to cover the area and then using a rubber under coating to completely seal the entire thing?

Other ideas would be great.

Now the pictures.......

2011 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Super Crew
2011 Jayco Eagle Superlite 314BDS (35')
510 Watt solar, dual six volt batteries, 65 gallons fresh water upgraded, always adding more stuff
10 REPLIES 10

csorba
Explorer
Explorer
Got the trailer back from the spring shop today. Rides much better. I went to the local body supplies shop and picked up some thin gauge metal as well as some rubber undercoating. Below is 2 picture. One of the spray foam insulation and one with the sheet metal almost completely attached.

Spray foamed

Sheet metal attached

Rubber under coating 1 attached

Rubber Coating 2
510 Watt solar, dual six volt batteries, 65 gallons fresh water upgraded, always adding more stuff

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
I would send your post complete with pictures to Randy Zonker who is the head of service at Jayco's service center in Middlebury, Indiana. I think the company should know about this. They most likely won't do much as it is out of warranty but they need to know that an item manufactured for them by other vendors failed.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went through the same thing with my old trailer with Dexter 3500 lbs axles. The supplied leafs were basically $29.95 China junk. I had a spring shop build me some beef-cake springs that will never break. Cost me about $95 per spring. Raised the trailer about an inch. While you're at it, you should replace all hardware, like HD Shackle Links, HD Equalizer and put wet bolts with the zerk fittings in. Make sure you go with new U-Bolts too as they are not supposed to be re-used. I would also recommend bronze bushings in the leaf springs to replace the plastic junk bushings that wear out in about a year. They go nice with the wet bolts with the zerks.

I did all the work myself.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
When I insisted on getting thicker main leaf springs, it absolutely ended breakage problems. And not many places are tougher on springs than down here ๐Ÿ˜ž

csorba
Explorer
Explorer
We are very lucky indeed, thanks for all the posts.

I have 2 new tires on order and the spring dealer says he can only get 6 leaf 3,000 lbs springs. So that's what we are going with. Originals were 4 leaf 2,200 lbs springs.

Tomorrow I am heading to the local supply store to get some aluminum and asphalt coating.

Thanks for verifying my ideas to coat and seal it up

PortWentworthSa
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the tires are pretty chewed up as well. You are one lucky family. Count those blessings. It could have been a mess had the little one not wanted to go to the bathroom.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I slapped some aluminum diamond plate above all my wheels after damage from throwing a tread off. Mine was not really sealed before so I did not do any extra undercoating.

You should like the new springs. I went 3500 to 4400 (per axle) and the trailer has never ridden better.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I hate ruined trips! Your entire post sounds intelligent IMHO from start to end.

Perhaps fill the wound with NON asphalt based undercoating then screw or rivet a piece of 20 gauge over top, then when that's done, coat the repair with even more undercoating?

When comparing trailer springs I always used to verify the new spring had a thicker main leaf than the original. Caught too many higher rated springs using the same thickness main but merely adding more leaves. just a thought...

May future trips be brighter and trouble free. You paid your dues IMO.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Just that happened to me 3 times with our old pop-up. But it usually blew the cheap tires as well, and went right through the floor of the trailer, so it was pretty noticeable when it happened.

I made the mistake of just replacing the springs a couple of times on the side of the road, thinking they were defective. But finally took it to a spring shop who put on heavier ones. Problem solved.

You are doing the right thing. I too used sheet Al to repair the wheel well. But then just covered it with duct tape on the interior. Your idea is much better.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You had a bit of bad luck there but are a very lucky fellow. The damage could have been a lot greater than what you have.

Your repair agenda is exactly how I would do it.

Hope the family is all well now and kudos to you for getting under there and making the repairs to get home!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton