cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing an OEM 10 watt solar panel

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I have a OEM 10 watt solar trickle charger on my MoHo, the panel is not registering any output and has a big crack in the glass. I want to replace the panel and finding anything around 10 watts that would mount using the same brackets is near impossible. I am also aware that a 10 watt panel may not even keep up with parasitic draw, I am not worried about that, Iโ€™m not going solar on this rig, ever.

HFT has a new 25 watt panel advertised for $55 but it isnโ€™t listed in the catalog, so I have no idea what is included with the panel or the size. It looks about the same size as the panel that is up there now, but who knows. So I thought that I would Google 25 watt panels and see what is available and found several, one in particular is close in size and the panel is about $15.00 cheaper than HFT. There are several controllers listed too, the most common size listed is 20 amp but the panel is only going to put out a little over 2 amps. Should I go ahead with a 20 amp or is 3 to 5 amps good? There isnโ€™t much difference in price. Remember Iโ€™m not going to expand, ever. All I want to do is replace the broken panel I have now and I donโ€™t know if there is a controller in the circuit now, I assume not, butโ€ฆ

The 25 watt panel and the 20 amp controller will run about $65.00, a OEM replacement panel will run way more than that.

Any help would be appreciated and remember, I will never expand over 25 Watt. Ever!
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
14 REPLIES 14

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know you mentioned that you have no plans to go solar, but one solution that would cure this would be 100-200 watts of solar, a basic PWM CC, and a "Trik-L-Start" or "Amp-L-Start" device which would keep your engine batteries topped off at all times.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
a cheap controller that has a display mounted where it can be seen would add more value than it costs! ~$16
https://www.amazon.com/HQST-Smart-Charge-Controller-Display/dp/B01F5WFK5C?th=1

That one is a cousin of the grape solar 40 BT that has bluethooth connection to an phone app ~$65 @ home depot.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

What size is the battery bank in amp-hours?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BTW I'd want to know what if any controller exists before buying a larger panel.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
At 10W you might not have a controller. The panel wires might connect to DC almost anywhere. If you can't locate the wires or contact someone with that information you could just wing it. Or a electronic wire tracer sends a signal on the wire and a remote can sense it which can be a big help.

At 60W you will want a controller and a current 10W controller may not handle 60W.

Bob

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Some additional info which I felt was not needed is that we are planning on down sizing and IMHO, repairing the solar panel will not increase the value but it just might sound better to a prospective buyer if everything works. I will, therefore, replace and going to a 60 watt panel from Solar Blvd(thanks for the lead) is just a little bit of a positive and may help us sell. Besides they have bigger solar panels for less than other places have a 25 watt.

I don't know squat about solar but I'm picking up bits and pieces here and there and I really don't have any idea if there is a controller in my rig or not. I guess I'm going to have to open up the "One Place Systems Center and see what is behind the panel. It is the only place that I am sure has the wiring for the solar panel. I am surmising that the wiring from the solar panel goes directly to the One Place panel but I don't know where else it goes. There is a connection to the batteries from there but I'm not sure what goes on or where it happens.

Now that I'm seeing their prices at Solar Blvd, I'm thinking I'll be building my landscape lighting system using their panels.

Thanks for the ideas and I'll let you know how it goes.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Solar Blvd near you has 10W and 20W for $25. Go buy one. Of course the roof brackets won't fit - just adapt using aluminum or new brackets.

Bob

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the local autoparts places... I saw one for laying in the windshield area just last week for around $50.

I have a ZAMP ZS-M-10 10 WATT panel that lays in my windshield area but in high SUN I only see around 1/2 AMP charge coming from it. This is purely just for maintaining a trickle charge going to the start battery. Takes a long time to see anything over 12.3-4VDC in my truck sitting all day in the sun. I have no idea what the normal parasitic drain is in my truck... I did nurse a failing battery for a season having it plugged into an always hot 12V socket... This Dimensions is 17.5" x 7.5" x 1"

Google Image

I think one would need at least a 40WATT panel to count on any useful charging of the start battery...

just my thoughts...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
10W is for show and does next to nothing and 25W is only slightly better. Since you've had 10W for a period of time why not just remove it and the controller?

You could of course go to HD and buy a portable panel which aside from setup and storage has advantages. But not sure they even have one as small as 25W.

Bob

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you won't get 2 amps from a 25 watt panel go for the cheapest controller you can find. Why pay for something you will never utilize.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My TT came with a 20 Watt Zamp solar system. It's basically a toy that makes a nice display light up and put on a show. Actual charging to battery is insignificant.
I think you need at least a 100 watt panel to see ANY results.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
D.E.Bishop wrote:
the panel is only going to put out a little over 2 amps. Should I go ahead with a 20 amp or is 3 to 5 amps good?
You'll be lucky to ever see 2 amps, and that would be on a cold clear day for a short period of time.

If 25w suits your needs, ok, but it's barely a trickle charge.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion only.
If prices are similar and quality is about the same, go bigger for the controller. I'm a "better to have it, and not need it, than to need it, and not have it" proponent.
You could change your mind in a year's time, or circumstances could change it for you, or you might decide to add some more capacity, even though you're certain you won't right now.
Things can change for a variety of reasons, sometimes beyond our control or expectations.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)