cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Residential Fridge Stopped then Restarted

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
The Kitchen Aid refrigerator in our new coach was running on the inverter along with the regular outlets. No Generator or engine or hookups. It ran on batteries/inverter only for three hours in the morning then I drove 50 miles. It then went on battery/inverter for another 4 hours at which time the fridge went black and non functioning. I started the generator (was getting low on fuel so had been trying to conserve). All 120 worked except for the fridge. I assumed a circuit needed reset because the inverter power went low. Could not get to the breakers as they are under the bed and the slide couldn't be opened. I finally got fuel and drove home 50 miles. When I got home the fridge was working. I touched nothing to make that happen. Found nothing in the manuals about this. What happened? Is this normal? Is it a malfunction or a safety thing?
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
6 REPLIES 6

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies....all good advice/input. The rig was in a bay at Camping World for much of the afternoon so solar panel was blocked. Should have shut the fridge down for the day since the doors didn't need to be opened. Temps were optimal in fridge and freezer. New rig so having fun(?) learning the technology. Thanks again.
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

MrWizard
Might have been the "thermal overload" switch in the compressor
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rkentzel
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe in defrost at the moment
1997 Pursuit class A

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Bev&Keith,

It is quite possible that the reefer was down on high temperature. There are two problems that I find are poorly addressed in RVs. House reefers are not designed to be run in a tight box as they often use the sides for cooling and for the most part, they do not like running on modified square wave inverters. Either of these could cause it to over heat the compressor and shut down. Only the better ones let you know by shutting down the interior light as well.

What can you do about it? Not much. But the first thing I do when I run into this on an owners coach is to make sure that there is cooling room around the reefer and if there is not, I try to get some.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd be adding enough solar to at least carry the fridge.

It is not good to discharge batteries as deeply as you have. I'd suggest plugging into shore power for about a week.

Costs for materials for solar are well under $2.00 per watt.

Driving for an hour is not going to recharge the battery bank.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I would guess your batteries got too low for the inverter to deliver the correct AC voltage. 7 hours of running the fridge probasbly means it wasn't cold to start. That's a long time to run constantly on batteries. Eventually the batteries were recharged when you ran the genset. I expect the reason the fridge din't start right away on the genset is the batteries were still to low for the inverter to deliver the correct voltage for the fridge, but enough for lights. Either that or a thermal fuse or breaker tripped and then reset when it cooled.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S