cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Residential refrigerator outside temperature below 40°

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I am living in my travel trailer full time which is permanently parked on a lot. Due to health reasons, I’m no longer traveling on the road. My RV style refrigerator is sick. I need to replace it and I am thinking about replacing it with a residential 10 cu ft refrigerator. However, I read someplace or someone told me that the compressor on a residential refrigerator will shut off at temperatures below 40°. Does anyone know if this is true? If I slip the new residential refrigerator in the hole left by the RV type refrigerator it will be exposed to the outside air temperature by the vent in the roof as well as the vent on the side of the travel trailer. Is it necessary to close off these vents and insulate the outside wall of the travel trailer? I do know that there must be some ventilation for the compressor which I assume will be vented inside the travel trailer.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
17 REPLIES 17

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't just close off the vents but insulate. Since the residential fridge will need airflow around it, the vent and lack of insulation would let a lot of cold air into the RV. Lots of folks over on another forum where I'm a moderator have done the conversion and are very happy with it. Be sure to research the reliability and customer ratings on the new fridge you are considering.

Sorry about your health issues.

Rob

PS: we have a factory-installed residential fridge and have experienced temps in the teens without any issues at all.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Close the vent off. No worries about temp until well below freezing.

Bingo! When installing a residential frig you block off the outside vents. That is what we did on a previous swap out.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Close the vent off. No worries about temp until well below freezing.