cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running AC off of my home's current/Please Respond

Olive600
Explorer
Explorer
I've been told that running the AC for my 2005 B Touring Cruiser Gulfstream off my house current can burn out the AC's air compressor. I've also been told that's not true, that the worst that will happen if there isn't enough current is that a fuse will blow. Unfortunately the difference of opinion has turned into some very bad feelings between friends. I'm still shaking. Please help me understand if you can. I'm new to all this. Evidently as an older, single woman I will be lied to and cheated at every turn. At least that's what I'm being told. (Yes, I'm so upset that I'm sniveling 8-) )

Thanks
41 REPLIES 41

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Olive600 wrote:
I've been told that running the AC for my 2005 B Touring Cruiser Gulfstream off my house current can burn out the AC's air compressor. I've also been told that's not true, that the worst that will happen if there isn't enough current is that a fuse will blow. Unfortunately the difference of opinion has turned into some very bad feelings between friends. I'm still shaking. Please help me understand if you can. I'm new to all this. Evidently as an older, single woman I will be lied to and cheated at every turn. At least that's what I'm being told. (Yes, I'm so upset that I'm sniveling 8-) )

Thanks

The grey area between yes and no is low voltage.
If voltage remains at ~108+ inside the RV you are are good to go.
So depending on your set up either yes or no advice could be correct.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
As you can see OP, there are as many different answers as people responding on this thread.

The only answer which applies in all cases is: "it depends."

Good luck.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I would not run the A/C for love nor money plugged in to a "regular" house outlet.

Forget arguments. Ask an electrician. A professional. Telephone and ask how much it would cost for a tech to come to your house and give you an estimate of what you will need. I don't ask my barber how to do a valve job.

I HAD a friend throw a fit trying to prove a point about medical advice (his insistence would have been DEADLY wrong for me) and when he started to get insulting about it he is now a once-upon-a-time friend.

I do not need egotistical knotheads trying to bully me into doing things their way. I try to not actually fuel a feud. I smile and say "That's Nice!", ignore them and then mentally strike their position down a notch or two. Some facts and subjects I have experience with. When I am in uncharted waters I ask a range of professionals. If there is general agreement then the correct answer is there.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Um, running any electrical appliance will EVENTUALLY use up its life and wear it out. Might take 30 or 40 years of continuous use, but hey, we can wait.

Let's see, assuming your household wiring is US standard, i.e. 120 volt, 60 Hz AC AND the wire is sized to support the common 15 amp and 20 amp circuits used in US homes, or 30 amp or 50 amp circuits intended to support an RV hookup, how, exactly does that differ from the power pedestal at a campground that supplies (or is supposed to supply) 120 volt, 60 Hz AC?

Where on earth do you think each gets it's power? Off the very same electrical grid, that's where.

IMHO, the person who told you that is an idiot.

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
You can measure the voltage in the rig with a volt meter or a kill-a-watt. If the volts do not drop too low, it is pretty safe to try. If the volts go too low, it can harm something.

I too have run AC successfully from a normal 20 amp house circuit and a very short, heavy duty extension cord for years on various 13,500 BUt air conditioners with no problem. But the voltage was good -114 volts and above measured at an outlet in the Rv with the AC compressor running.

You do need a quality 30 amp to 20 amp adapter rather than the typical junky 30-15 amp adapter.

Jim

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Olive600 wrote:
.. running the AC for my 2005 B Touring Cruiser Gulfstream off my house current can burn out the AC's air compressor. I've also been told that's not true, that the worst that will happen if there isn't enough current is that a fuse will blow.

the difference of opinion has turned into some very bad feelings between friends.
Nothing like an argument about the mysteries of electricity to divide friends.

You've been given some pretty lousy advice. Yes, it *can* be a problem IF your extension cord is too long or small. But what will usually happen then is the a/c won't even start. And that thing about the 'fuse'.. well, first off you have breakers, not fuses, and they blow when there's TOO much current (amps). And I really don't understand CamperPaul's advice either.

To be as safe as possible you really need a voltmeter. Measure it without the a/c running, then measure it with it running. If there's much of a drop (like 5 volts) then you probably shouldn't be running it. Also, if the connecting plugs get hot after a few minutes, then absolutely don't run it.

"Please respond".. lol, like anybody has to say that around here!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
The worst that can happen is that you will blow a fuse

I got a 50 amp box put is so I can run my AC in the motor home with no problems
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:

* Make sure the electrician knows how to wire an RV outlet.

What he said. Many electricians look at a NEMA 30-TT (RV 30 amp) and think it's a 220, this results in bad things happening to RVs

With a class B, it's very unlikely you have a 50 amp
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
Your house would have to have a specicfic line to handle either the 30amp or 50amp service needed to run a A/C.

I have heard, some think the DRYER outlet looks like a RV style outlet and plugging into that will FRY your RV electronics because totatlly different.

Normal house plugs/outlets of a house are not strong enough(amperage i think) to run the AC, I keep my plugged in at home, just to run lights and fridge when getting ready to travel.

Sure some electricians will speak up on if you tried to run AC on a "Normal" line, (I am guessing will through the breaker that line is on in the house). Not sure if it could damage AC compressor.

Markiemark
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
If you are using a 15a circuit, then yes, it may or may not hurt your AC. If using a 20a circuit, then it will most likely not have any effect on it. With a 30a circuit(recommended) it will have NO effect on it and the RV will think it is just plugged into electric at a camp ground. AC electricity is electricity, no matter where it comes from, but the amount needed to operate certain appliances does make a difference.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
It depends.... If your house is wired for 15 amp circuits (check your breaker panel/fuse box) the odds are the breaker/fuse will blow. If your house is wired for 20 amp circuits (mine is, many are) odds are the 30-amp to 15-amp adapter will melt, or the outlet will melt. The reason is, while the circuit is 20 amps, the outlet is only 15.
My circuit is 20 amps, and I installed a 30 amp outlet.

...former, well.... electrician, electrical engineer (with degree), etc, yes I probably do know what I'm talking about.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
You can do it if:

If your rig is wired for 50 Amp service:

You have a correctly wired 50 Amp RV outlet into which you can plug the RV.

If you need an extension cord, use only a 50 Amp RV extension cord.
------
If your rig is wired for 30 Amp service:

You have a *correctly wired 30 Amp RV outlet into which you can plug the RV.

If you need an extension cord, use only a 30 Amp RV extension cord.

* Make sure the electrician knows how to wire an RV outlet.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)