cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Brake problems

wvbike_99
Explorer
Explorer
Been having some issues , I have 2010 Ford F150 with the factory brake controller, last 2 time out got a wiring fault warning light, came up while towing and not while braking, stopped and unplugged connector and hooked back up and all seemed well, last trip it did it again and could find no problem, then when I would come to a stop (sometimes) the brakes would surge on and off and when u used the lever it was a very weak brake and sometimes hardly any brake.Warning light would say Trailer disconnected. Put a new 7 pin connector on RV and tested this morning. As soon as I got on road I pushed the lever over and had a strong very good brake and then after a few times it began to get weaker and finally I had to max out the setting to 10 and brakes did get better but still not enough, I have always used a 6.5 setting on my controller. Just wondering if any of you guys have had something like this and might point me in the right direction. All 4 RV hubs were warm/hot but not over hot when I got home and the breaks have been adjusted about 400 miles back. I have made an appointment with Ford on Monday but thought I would run it past you guys. Any ideas? Thanks ED
2012 Primetime Tracer 2640 RLS
2010 Ford F Super Cab
5.4 Engine, 3.56 Gear
Factory Tow Package
Equilizer Hitch
Wife and Myself
No Cats or Dogs
2 REPLIES 2

wvbike_99
Explorer
Explorer
I cleaned the connector and no improvement, it was a very loose ( very loose in the female plug) male end so I put on a new one since I already had one. I did take the cover off the junction box and tightened up all the connections from the 7 pin wire, will try it again tomorrow but they all seemed pretty tight and its a 2012 rv so no corrosion, since all 4 hubs are braking I am leaning toward the Truck. Thanks for the reply.
2012 Primetime Tracer 2640 RLS
2010 Ford F Super Cab
5.4 Engine, 3.56 Gear
Factory Tow Package
Equilizer Hitch
Wife and Myself
No Cats or Dogs

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
You just have a poor connection somewhere. You are throwing away money replacing parts. Check all the brake system wiring and grounds and clean the 7 pin plug and receptacle with contact cleaner.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)