cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Securing generator while running

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
How are you guys keeping your generators from walking off while running them next to your rv? I'd like to keep ac on while doing other activities away from the camper. We just purchased a Honda 3200i as a back up to our on board Onan 4000. We've never had an issue with theft but why invite it? Thanks.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer
25 REPLIES 25

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
We use the 10ft bike cable too but it's really about keeping honest people honest.

If we will be away from the camper for any significant period, we generally put it away.

Is there a reason, you are running the air/con when you aren't there?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
A regular cutoff wheel will make short work of a Kryptonite cable/lock DAMHIK

All one can do is slow the thief down--so they will go to some one else.

I use the same Kryptonite cable through the handle and then through a stabilizer jack. I keep it stored in a Rubber Made bucket with a cover, the cable goes on when it is in the bucket. And the genny is in that bucket all the time, other then when it is running or it is cooling down after running, then goes back in the bucket. And, I roll up the shore line cord.

I "never" leave the site when the generator is running. The genny is unlocked when it is running, but I am in camp then. And when both wife and I take the truck and leave the site, the genny goes back in the truck bed with us in the same Rubber Made tub.

I go by the, out of site, out of mind theory. I do not advertise the genny being left out when it is not running.

And, as was said above, any of this is only going to slow down a real thief wanting it, if they know you have it. If they do not know you have it, as they can't see it, then it betters the odds they will not hit you.

I often see many campers leaving their genny out in the open, shut off, not running, for days on end in the same spot. Their bad luck may run out sooner then mine, I hope.

I'm not sure there is a thief proof way to do this.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
A regular cutoff wheel will make short work of a Kryptonite cable/lock DAMHIK

All one can do is slow the thief down--so they will go to some one else.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Kryptonite bicycle cable lock
Seems much easier than an old logging chain and padlock.

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
You can chain them but.. Won't you notice when they are shut off?
I'm a sensitive sleeper. But I'm more concerned with leaving camp for while with the ac on. Never had an issue with thieves but the times, they are a changin'.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can chain them but.. Won't you notice when they are shut off?
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Kryptonite bicycle cable lock

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I use a stainless-steel cable with crimped eyes on both ends. it is about 10 feet long and has plastic coating. Pad lock secures ends. I find a nice tree or MH wheel to loop the cable around and through the handle of my 2000 genset. Might find a dog tether that works.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is on the tongue of the trailer in a tray and is held in place with a grollilla cable. If they really want it they can get it if we are away for a while. If we are nearby they are likely to get more than they bargained for.

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Hadn't thought about You tube.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good question. There has over time been many discussions on this topic and maybe a forum search will yield the answer. Also certain to be youtube videos on how others secure their gen sets. I use a wound steel locking cable and secure it to the bumper or hitch carry all receiver or to a very heavy duty picknick campsite table. Run the cable thru the plastic carry handle (that can be easily broken) is my only method so far.