cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I get a group 31 battery?

SC_camper
Explorer
Explorer
My boss bought an AC Delco Voyager group 29(31) battery for his boat. It doesn't fit the boat and he has offered it to me for what he has in it, ($25, new old stock, "blem").

I currently have a group 24 Interstate that's a couple years old. I'm not having any problems and normally camp with hookups. We will be taking a long trip this summer and will spend a couple nights without power while traveling.

Can't beat the price on the new battery but I don't think I really "need" it. Is it worth the hassle to change battery box and switch over to the bigger battery? I may have to redo the mount if it's not wide enough.
18 REPLIES 18

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I googled the battery and it came up agm. Perhaps that's just what they want me to see first.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
An excellent price on a battery, but I don't get where this series is AGM. Following from the ACDelco webpage:
---
When durable performance in an economical package is what you're after, rely on the Voyager II Marine Battery. These ACDelco Advantage / 60-Series deep cycle batteries feature large reservoirs above the plates to provide ample electrolyte reserve for maintenance-free performance in a variety of environments.
---
Notice, this is Voyager II, 02, TWO. If it's "Voyager" without the II, then it's not a Deep Cycle battery. Be sure what he has is what you need.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

SC_camper
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know it was AGM, just thought it was deep cycle marine. I haven't even looked at it.

Only catch, no warranty. For $25, who cares.

He got it cheap from our battery supplier.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
$25 for an AGM battery! Wow... that's really cheap. What's the catch?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman