cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide power source

JOHN5206
Explorer
Explorer
Do the slides run directly off the house battery, when hooked to shore power?
15 REPLIES 15

JOHN5206
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the good info. You have answered my question. Mine is wired like the HR pic.. Need to look at my batt., it is 4 yrs. old.
Slide doesn't have enough power to pull itself.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
LarryJM wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
JOHN5206 wrote:

If 12 volt electric motor slide system, then NO. The battery is usually required to be installed and charged up, but the slide system is wired to the 12 volt breaker panel supply. Most slides require both a charged up battery AND connected to 120 shore Power(Power Converter) for optimum operation. Very few Slide systems are wired direct to the 12 volt battery posts. Doug

Based on several replies so far it looks like your belief that few slide system are wired direct to the battery might not be correct.

The electric slide on my 2007 HR trailer is wired directly to the battery thru a separate 30A auto resetting CB. There are 3 hot wires hooked up to my battery on the tongue. One goes to my electric jack, one goes to the converter thru a 50A auto resetting CB with the converter side of the CB having a separate wire that goes back to the charging end of the 7 pin connector and a third wire that goes to my slide thru a 30A auto resetting CB. If I disconnect the wire to the slide at the battery I have no power to the slide even if on shore power.

IIRC I have seen several posts of other owners with a similar setup as mine with the slide wired directly to the battery via one of the stand alone auto resetting CBs.

Here is a pic of the two CBs that are mounted just after the tongue to the floor of my TT (note: this was before I replaced them and sealed them to correct the corrosion problem seen in the pic)

Larry

I stated VERY FEW, not all. Yours is wired to the battery thru a 12 volt circuit breaker. GOOD. But it just confirms MY post. I have worked on slide systems for over 25 years, and my post was the reflection of the majority of slide rooms. Now, on your system, the odds are the POWER to the system is direct to the battery, but the wall slide switch and controls will be fused at the RV main 12 volt fuse center. A LOT of slide rooms, the power is fused at the 12 volt fuse center. Doug

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
JOHN5206 wrote:

If 12 volt electric motor slide system, then NO. The battery is usually required to be installed and charged up, but the slide system is wired to the 12 volt breaker panel supply. Most slides require both a charged up battery AND connected to 120 shore Power(Power Converter) for optimum operation. Very few Slide systems are wired direct to the 12 volt battery posts. Doug

Based on several replies so far it looks like your belief that few slide system are wired direct to the battery might not be correct.

The electric slide on my 2007 HR trailer is wired directly to the battery thru a separate 30A auto resetting CB. There are 3 hot wires hooked up to my battery on the tongue. One goes to my electric jack, one goes to the converter thru a 50A auto resetting CB with the converter side of the CB having a separate wire that goes back to the charging end of the 7 pin connector and a third wire that goes to my slide thru a 30A auto resetting CB. If I disconnect the wire to the slide at the battery I have no power to the slide even if on shore power.

IIRC I have seen several posts of other owners with a similar setup as mine with the slide wired directly to the battery via one of the stand alone auto resetting CBs.

Here is a pic of the two CBs that are mounted just after the tongue to the floor of my TT (note: this was before I replaced them and sealed them to correct the corrosion problem seen in the pic)

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
RJsfishin wrote:
Mine run off the chassis battery

Are you positive? Some think since the engine or key must be ON and the parking brake set, then the chassis supplies power to the slide motor. But, MOST OEM's wire the actual slide motor system to the coach, but have a relay that requires the Chassis system to be engaged to operate the slide room. Doug

Yep, positive, I can see it. But probably only because the chassis battery is close to the pump. The house batts are 12ft away.
But, in actuality, once the key is on, its running off all the batteries.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Doug

Yes positive - speaking for my chassis and a few friends chassis all Itasca's

A quote from the service manual
"Chassis Battery
The chassis battery is used to operate the
engine starter and automotive accessories and
controls found on the instrument panel. The
slideout room systems and the electric step are
also connected to the chassis battery."

I am sure you are well aware Winni has great detailed schematics for most of their stuff. The amount of detail they include has made the several modifications I have made over the years a lot easier. Both Winni and Workhorse IMO have wonderful easy to understand documentation. Both of them are "as built" detailed documentation for my coach.

Like several others I added a disable switch for the "boost" relay connection activated by the ignition switch. I do not want or need the alternator to charge my house batteries all the time. The 560 watt solar system does that for me.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
KJINTF wrote:
I believe many of the Winnebago / Itasca motor driven slides were wired to run from the engine battery not the house battery. The reason Winne recommends running the engine where the alternator came help with moving the slides.

Are you positive? Some think since the engine or key must be ON and the parking brake set, then the chassis supplies power to the slide motor. But, MOST OEM's wire the actual slide motor system to the coach, but have a relay that requires the Chassis system to be engaged to operate the slide room. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
RJsfishin wrote:

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
I believe many of the Winnebago / Itasca motor driven slides were wired to run from the engine battery not the house battery. The reason Winne recommends running the engine where the alternator came help with moving the slides.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
JOHN5206 wrote:

Like everything else , the load will operate from the higher voltage source. If the converter is at 13.6 and the battery at 12.7, then the slide will operate from the converter until its loaded voltage from running the slide and whatever else is on, gets to 12.7, then the battery will start to help out.

That means, with a battery connected and on shore power, both will share in the work at some stages of play, such as when the slide comes over the hump coming in where most power is required.

The converter may be able to do it all by itself if no battery is connected. Some rigs say you need the battery to run the slide, but that just means they have the slide motor pos and the converter pos on the battery pos terminal.

What they really mean is that the converter and slide motor pos must be connected to make a path, so with no battery, no path. Use a vice grips or other clamp to join the two wires with no battery, and you are back in business on converter only.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
JOHN5206 wrote:

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
Slides always operate off of 12volt (battery) no matter if hydraulic or electric motor. Hydraulic uses 1 motor to run the hydraulic pump to operate multiple slides. Multiple motors(1 per slide) are used if rack an pinion or cable operated. Shore power (110volt) runs the converter that charges the battery to make everything work. Sometimes you can run the slides without a battery when plugged in if motors don't draw more amps than the converter puts out. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

JOHN5206
Explorer
Explorer
They are motors. Cog gear system.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes.
I do need to qualify that answer. Are your slides operated from electric motors or hydraulics?