cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slight drip at pex fitting to water pump hose?

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
As the title states. The flexible hose that comes from the water water pump that connects to the pex line fitting keeps dripping slightly. It drips more when it cooler out than when it's warm. I figured it was because of aging so bought a new hose 3/4" OD x 1/2" ID Braided Vinyl Tubing. Made sure it was snug up to the stop on the pex fitting, tightened the hose clamp with a ratchet instead of a screwdriver so it was tight and not snug. It's straight on...no weird angle or slight **** to it but it still is ever so slightly getting a drip build up where it connects (it is this water connection not on the other side by the pex tube). Is there something that can be applied to the hose connection before sliding the hose on that will stop the slight drip.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.
18 REPLIES 18

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced with a new hose clamp and the drip has stopped. This will work till I get time to fix with a threaded connection.
Thanks for the suggestions.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
Rescue Tape

Three or four tight wraps around the connections.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If that is flexible to PEX I'd get the needed shark bite fittings to replace the hard plastic part (the connector) and try again with brass barb to the hose.

But that's how I'd do it..

When the shark bites
Into Pex Dear
Water leaks just..Disappear
When the shark bites
Into pex dear
Water stays, right, inside there.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rvpapa wrote:
From what I see, that is the wrong size clamp. The proper one should be sized as half to one and a sixteenth hose OD. Also the size of the hex should be 1/4 inch max.
Art.

Clamp is too big, need one of thse narrow ones, like used on fuel lines.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Rvpapa
Explorer
Explorer
From what I see, that is the wrong size clamp. The proper one should be sized as half to one and a sixteenth hose OD. Also the size of the hex should be 1/4 inch max.
Art.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
A hose uses a hose barn fitting, PEX tubing uses a PEX fitting. RV manufacturers take short cuts by using the, too small for hose, PEX fittings for everything.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like the hose clamp is bent with a gap between the hose and where the gear housing and the band meet.

Try a new hose clamp first.

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys next time near the big box stores I'll have to get some stuff for a proper fix.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
A photo might help if you can.

I'd go to Home Depot and buy a cinch clamp crimper which sometimes come with a few clamps. Last time I saw them at HD they were like around $35. That way you can use what's typically used at the factories. If there's a PEX fitting (not as part of the pump), you might replace it with a brass PEX fitting, also available at HD. It can't hurt to have a cinch clamp crimper and some clamps in your toolbox in your RV. Never know when you might need it. Do NOT use a gear clamp on the plumbing fittings.

Some have replaced that hose with braided stainless steel hose along with the appropriate PEX fittings.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Heavy vinyl hose might have flexed the shark-bite oring one too many times, and it's not sealing perfect anymore. If you're going to replace the fitting, consider a crimp type instead? Big box home centers should loan/rent the crimp tool and the rings are cheap.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I'll have to take the pex line off (the short piece) and change the connection end so it has a screw on stlye instead. I was hoping for a quick band aid for the time being.
Which leads to some homework on pex never worked with it.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Here is pic of the entire area its the line thats comes from the pump connecting to the pex, that portion is a "flexible " hose. I'm guessing its a pex fitting because it doesn't look like the normal hose fitting. This is original on the rig.[img] Click For Full-Size Image.[/img]

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Is that a hose clamp fitting? I would get rid of the vinyl tube and barb fittings. Connect with a flexible supply line.