cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Soaking Onan Carb in Acetone?

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming I do a tear down and remove the seals/plastics, has anyone had good or bad experiences with small engine carbs and acetone?

I've got what I suspect is a gummed carb on my Onan 4K, after it had an unexpected time out where I couldn't exercise the gen monthly and didn't have an opportunity to drain the bowl.

The gen runs, but surges under a load and dies usually after 20-30 minutes. I've tested the fuel pump and filter, and both seem to be fine, so I'm moving on to pulling the carb and doing a soak.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit
58 REPLIES 58

Explorer
Explorer
Sea Foam will do it. It did for me in my tractor and mowers.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
lane hog wrote:
Guys, I asked about Acetone. Not carb cleaner or Seafoam... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wow! Really?

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
BEFORE you take any thing apart do the sea foam carb cleaner it has directions on the bottle sea foam has cleaned up meney boat motos from gunk. and never taken of the boat. wal mart $7.00 bucks or less

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Gunk sells a really nice carb cleaner kit consisting of a bucket of parts cleaner solvent and a self-contained basket. That's what you want. Not acetone.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
lane hog wrote:

Yes and the cumulative answer is no. Use carb cleaner.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
lane hog wrote:
Assuming I do a tear down and remove the seals/plastics, has anyone had good or bad experiences with small engine carbs and acetone?

I've got what I suspect is a gummed carb on my Onan 4K, after it had an unexpected time out where I couldn't exercise the gen monthly and didn't have an opportunity to drain the bowl.

The gen runs, but surges under a load and dies usually after 20-30 minutes. I've tested the fuel pump and filter, and both seem to be fine, so I'm moving on to pulling the carb and doing a soak.

These folks

Call and see what they say.
I've never seen any coatings on carb parts that will be harmed by Acetone, If they are painted on the outside that will come off, but who wold care?
Carb parts are usually white pot metal, and needs no extra coatings to make them fuel proof. In some cases the metal is etched with a 6% chromic acid this will leave a tea colored stain for better paint adhesion, that will not be removed by acetone.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
darsben1 wrote:
Why don't you try Seafoam mixed in a gallon of gas. Connect gas line to the gallon and let her rip.
That should clean up the carb

X2
I have used Seafoam 50/50 this way with no ill effects. What have you got to lose?

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I also think carb cleaner would work the best.

kaz442
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on carb cleaner. Small parts get soaked in cap from carb cleaner. Everything else a good spray down over a bucket. Then compressed air and blow out the passages. Watch for the seal on the needle and seat. Compressed air will force it out.
Rinse repeat as necessary.

JKaz
1989 26' Jayco class C E350 460cu

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I'd just use a can of carb cleaner spray. If you need to soak it use new clean gasoline. The Acetone is way too strong IMHO.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

MrWizard
Should not hurt the aluminum carb body
But acetone evaporates fairly quick and is highly flammable
I find a bucket of parts cleaner from the auto parts store a better alternative

But for one part one time I might use acetone
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't you try Seafoam mixed in a gallon of gas. Connect gas line to the gallon and let her rip.
That should clean up the carb
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
If that carb has a coating on the casting to seal the pores, the acetone might dissolve the coating and leave you with a hard cold-start situation. We called that a dry-bowl carb because all or most of the gas would seep out overnight. We would throw those carbs away.

Go to the auto parts store and pick up some parts cleaner.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.