cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

solar from two sources

Lynn0527
Explorer
Explorer
I just recently purchased a 2x50 watts portable solar suitcase Renogy which I am very happy with. Being as I drive a Pleasure way and don't have much roof space, I would also like to install another 100 watts on my rooftop which Pleasureway will do for me but I am wondering how the battery works when I place my connections on the battery from my portable unit and also a roof panel feeds into the battery. Just need to fully understand before I get the work done.

Thanks,

Lynn
2012 Pleasure Way TS Excel
Calgary Alberta
22 REPLIES 22

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
$800 vs $200 may not matter to some. Only the OP will know whether it matters to her.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on what sort of places you camp, you might want to consider more portable panels instead of fixed.

We have 120 fixed on roof, but often need the 100 portable as we are parked in shade (this happens quite often as we like wooded spots).

Doug

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:

(Also DW reminds me from time to time as required, that being a woman is not necessarily a sign of helplessness, unless she is "playing that card" ! ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Not knowing something, not having experience with something, and or being fearful of something, has nothing to do with gender.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer
If you have room to store more portable, and are happy with a portable set-up, that would be the way to go; both practically speaking, as well as concerning cost.

Or consider a side mount, if feasible, so you can access it without climbing on the roof.

I found a place in Markham, Ontario, that sells poly panels for about $1/watt + $? shipping.

http://2solar.ca/

As for wiring, I'd go with one pwm controller, mounted close to the batteries. Then hook up as many panels as needed, in parallel. Just be sure to allow for the amperage, i.e; total output in amps + at least 20%. So, if you wind up with 200w total, that will give you about 12 amps, so go with at least a 15a controller. But for a few bucks more, the solar30 comes well recommended.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30A-12V-24V-LCD-display-Solar-Charge-Controller-Regulator-Light-and-Timer-DX...

Lynn0527
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

How many hours to install?

I don't know, I will have to find out. My first question was how much!
Calgary Alberta

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Multiple charging sources create no issues. So even with your two solar connections you can also start the van and not worry about the alternator. Then start the generator and no worries on the converter either. Have a portable charger too? Just slap it on top.
While I agree with Don that two controllers can work together to feed one battery bank, I have had one problem worth mentioning. I have a 95 watt panel (which does not have a disconnect switch) on the roof that feeds a GoPower 30 amp controller. I added a 160 watt portable panel from Solar Blvd that I temporarily connected through the trailer 7 pin connector.

As long as both panels are in the sun they work well together, however if the roof panel is in the shade, it appears that it "fools" the cheap controller on the portable panel. There is enough voltage from the GoPower built in controller feeding the batteries that the portable controller assumes the batteries are full & goes into the float mode, producing far less current than expected.

My solution is to add a connector to the trailer that goes to the input of the GoPower controller, and bypass the portable panel controller. Using that combination works fine even if the roof panel is in the shade.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I'd sell her my 12v 120W portable folding solar panel kit for $180 US FOB Los Angeles. plug and play. Attach clamps to batteries, plug in cords, point at sun, and off you go.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Why not read the question !
She's not trying for price,....she wants to know if it will work good.
And even the price is not out of line for plug and playing a Koycera panel w/ Morningstar, especially for a person that doesn't want to touch it themselves.

Otherwise, yes, a DIY could do a 100w set up for $150.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

How many hours to install?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I don't see anything wrong with a full service install for close to $800.
Although it should not be that much extra to install a second 100 watt panel, space permitting. Probably that is the all that fits. Do watch that the panel is installed away from shade items like vents and air conditioner. Shade on just half of one cell can entirely stop the power production.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Lynn0527,

$800 is a gouging price. So is $680. Don't allow this "nice" company to take advantage of you.

12 volts is almost impossible for you to hurt yourself from, so stop being afraid. You would have to lick the wires with your tongue.

Lynn0527 wrote:
I am a woman and afraid of electricity and batteries so I don't think I would attempt it myself. They will charge me $800.00 for the install which to me was an OK price. Thanks for your advice though.

lynn
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lynn0527
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Padlin wrote:
Just as a fer instance. I bought my trailer in June, if I had bought the factory installed roof flat mounted 160w panel which comes with a 30A Go Power controller, the price is/was $850. They were doing 95W panels till 6 months ago, for the same price. Lynn's price doesn't sound out of whack to me, for a manufacturers install. She did say Pleasureway was doing the job.

Your other option is get a price from a 3rd party installer if there are any in your area.

No. Her other option is to get a 100w panel from a "real" solar dealer for less than $200 and tack it onto her existing portable in parallel. If the controller she has now is not "big" enough, she can get another or use two.

I just looked and my controller is only 10 amps so I would need larger but I think it would be worthwhile to see if anyone in town can add to my portable.
Calgary Alberta

Lynn0527
Explorer
Explorer
Padlin wrote:
Just as a fer instance. I bought my trailer in June, if I had bought the factory installed roof flat mounted 160w panel which comes with a 30A Go Power controller, the price is/was $850. They were doing 95W panels till 6 months ago, for the same price. Lynn's price doesn't sound out of whack to me, for a manufacturers install. She did say Pleasureway was doing the job.

Your other option is get a price from a 3rd party installer if there are any in your area.

The other thing I should mentions $800 Canadian dollars which is $680 US and then I get 10% off for being in their membership club. So let's say 625$ US.
Calgary Alberta

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Padlin wrote:

No. Her other option is to get a 100w panel from a "real" solar dealer for less than $200 and tack it onto her existing portable in parallel. If the controller she has now is not "big" enough, she can get another or use two.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.