cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar/Inverter wiring

CptSydor
Explorer
Explorer
I've been researching and have acquired virtually all my components to install solar in my trailer in the near future.

I have one question that is bothering my a little and I can't seem to find an answer online.

I have 3 sets of wires that will be connected to my batteries (two 6V 225 Ah golf cart).

1) Coming from my charge controller

2) Coming from my RV panel

3) Going out to a small inverter (450W) that will be stand alone (not tied into the trailer 120V AC) just for charging small electronics.

Is it okay to attach all three connections to the battery terminals? Just one on top the other, on top the other, then screw it down?
17 REPLIES 17

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
If you use a bus bar and remote mount it, be sure to figure you amp load and use an appropriate size bus bar and wiring. Too small a cable or wire means big problems.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I'd prefer using a buss bar system.

Concur !

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you are handy, make your own from 3/4" copper pipe.

GaryS1953 wrote:
Can someone recommend a good busbar type that can be mounted under the 5th wheel overhang on the wall?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
CptSydor,

Do yourself a favor and buy a 40 amp Grape controller from Home Depot with a temperature sensor for the battery bank.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone recommend a good busbar type that can be mounted under the 5th wheel overhang on the wall? That's where my battery rack is. I have the same thing with too many wires connected to the positive terminal and at the end of the shunt off the negative post.
Gary in Michigan
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 5.3 Liter V8
1996 Coachmen Catalina RB210 21' Fifth Wheel
495 Watts Solar, 40 AMP Renogy Tracer MPPT Controller,2 GC2 6V Batts.

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Nice you will love it. Mine was a kit also I added a 2000 watt inverter/charger and 4 6 volt 120ah golf cart flooded Bat. And yes go with the buss bar thats how I'm hooking up extras on my system.
Mel

CptSydor
Explorer
Explorer
And the bus bar is good idea if I'm struggling with space. Thanks.

CptSydor
Explorer
Explorer
Mel B. wrote:
Share with us, what system are you installing? I just this week got my 400 watt Renogy system installed, I'm shocked at well it's been working in my drive way, even charghing in the rain the other day.
Mel

I bought 100W + 150W Renogy panels. The 100W was a package, so it came with a renogy 30amp charge controller.

BBFD
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Pianotuna, I have three attached at the battery and its hard to get the bolt on. Your idea of a buss bar is a good one.

I picked up my +/- buss bars at my local West Marine for cheap.
2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie CTD
2017 KZ Durango 292BHT

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Share with us, what system are you installing? I just this week got my 400 watt Renogy system installed, I'm shocked at well it's been working in my drive way, even charghing in the rain the other day.
Mel

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pianotuna, I have three attached at the battery and its hard to get the bolt on. Your idea of a buss bar is a good one.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd prefer using a buss bar system.
Regards, Don