cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar tender

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
So I would like to keep my battery charged while in storage with a solar system. Doing some searches here I can't tell if I need a $15 Harbor Freight unit or 160 watt unit. Cabelas has panels of 5, 10 and 15 watts with the controller. Would one of those work and if so, what wattage. Simply to keep the battery from discharging while in storage and probably getting some parasitic draw.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."
9 REPLIES 9

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Disconnect and a small solar system.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 100w panel from solar blvd, morning star controller and cutoff switch. It always keep the battery charged up while in the storage yard.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
That 50 watt suggestion is just what I needed to know.

I'm letting my grown children use our Eagle occasionally and always a chance the battery cut off won't be used. I say that from experience. Twice.
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably easier to disconnect.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 50-watt solar panel and controller that I bought from Amazon to keep my batteries charged during storage. The small panels are barely enough to deal with self-discharge, and will not handle any parasitic loads.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
One battery, used for brakes when towing, not much else. Group? 27??

As mentioned, may have parasitic draw occasionally.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Only 1 battery? What size? Will you be using a battery disconnect switch to totally cut off all current draw or will you be leaving the LP detector, CO detector, stereo, etc. powered up?

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
IF....it has an appropriate controller, a 15 watt panel would be barely adequate for one battery.

In my opinion, if you are going to do this you should avoid Harbor Freight and get a "name brand" unit with controller in the 100 watt range or a bit larger. That will have enough capacity to do some real charging in addition to just float maintenance.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Twenty-five solar watts keeps my two T125s charged. Panel is in full sun and matched to a WindyNation weatherproof charge controller..but I keep the controller under a tarp. If you donโ€™t cover your RV just get a real solar system.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad