cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Soldering instead of crimping

Bianchi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, Would there be any reason not to solder battery connections versus crimping? The application would be for a solar charging system.

Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.

55 REPLIES 55

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Can you tell old triceratops here when they changed the name from "Western Union Splice" to "Lineman's Splice"?

I learned the phrase as "Linesman's splice". When I Googled it looking for a picture, I found several references to both Western Union and Linesman's splice for the same thing.

RandACampin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
Soldering done correctly will have a good mechanical connection first even if it is just a linesman's splice. Then use heatshrink to weather proof it. Don't forget to slide the tubing over one of the wires first. Don't ask me how I know that. :S

I have had wire antennas up in
the air for almost 30 years with no problem using that technique.

It's going to be extremely hard to do that with battery cables!
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

pcmentor29
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted a joint that would not corrode with moisture which I think crimp joints would. For my Toyota Motorhome there are 5 or so such joints under the intake which I have soldered since. I may re-solder them at some point because now I know to scrape the wire and use rosin flux by brush before I tin them. Thanks for all the help.
1985 Toyota Dolphin 21' 22RE Auto
2002 at Quartzsite, AZ

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Can you tell old triceratops here when they changed the name from "Western Union Splice" to "Lineman's Splice"?
That would be when Morse Code over the telegraph became obsolete ๐Ÿ˜‰

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Bismuth solder melts at a lower temp than 360, as does SN 63, but electronic techs seem to get a little cranky when you toss them a roll of 40/60 .090" Kester.

Wisdom comes with age and experience. People who cannot solder nor find technicians who can solder will stand on their head trying to convince people crimping is better. I have to laugh when these serious faced folks discover much too rudely for their taste that one of the worst environments on the face of the earth for vibration, a diesel engine, uses a starter motor and alternator with dozens and dozens of soldered connections. Heck, some voltage regulators must have hundreds of wave soldered connections. Industries prohibit soldering solely to cover their rear. They make it code. They make it holy writ. They cannot find people who know how to solder. SIXTY years ago my mother got a job at SYSTRON DONNER, because she, one out of forty applicants, had the talent to solder electrical junctions correctly. But the argument will continue, and I will keep smiling - the guy in the checkerboard suit and paisley tie will continue to sell chainsaws in the Sahara.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I hear the argument "SOLDER MELTS AT 360 DEGREES! WHAT GOOD IS THAT?"

Trust me, if a wire temperature soars to 360 degrees, you'll be busy elsewhere than with whether the solder has become soft.

Acutally there are lots of different melting points for solder depending on the usage so really no on temperature "fits" all applications.

I would tend to agree with your statement, in fact MOST insulation will start to fail around that same temperature so if you have a wire hot enough to melt solder the insulation WILL be near failing :E

I personally would not want to be in that situation...

I get a kick out of this forum, my Tech school taught that soldering connections were the best mechanical and electrical connections.

Followed that advice for nearly 25 yrs without any problems, then sign up to this forum only to find out from many experts here that I have been doing it all wrong all these years :S

I guess that is why for many years I made money from repairing BAD CRIMP CONNECTIONS, fixing them by SOLDERING them :B

I will stick with soldering..

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Alas. I do not have to ask how you know that.... After all, WE know that, and quite likely learned the same way.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Soldering done correctly will have a good mechanical connection first even if it is just a linesman's splice. Then use heatshrink to weather proof it. Don't forget to slide the tubing over one of the wires first. Don't ask me how I know that. :S

I have had wire antennas up in
the air for almost 30 years with no problem using that technique.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I hear the argument "SOLDER MELTS AT 360 DEGREES! WHAT GOOD IS THAT?"

Trust me, if a wire temperature soars to 360 degrees, you'll be busy elsewhere than with whether the solder has become soft.

gon2dadawgs
Explorer
Explorer
Solder and shrink tube....never have to deal with it again.

Michael
Home is where you unhitch

pcmentor29
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mexico Wanderer for the info.

I just bought: 'Rosin Paste Flux, 2 oz' by Miniatronics Corp on Amazon

I found the metal flux brushes 10 for $2.99 at Harbor Freight
2002 at Quartzsite, AZ

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
NYET on the "Naval Jelly". It's purpose is to convert one form of oxide to another.

Use a new razor sharp utility blade to scrape the strands to bright copper. You need to revolve the wire as you proceed to get all the oxides off. I use a paste flux after scraping. A few millions of successful soldered joints has convinced me I have not been doing this wrong in the last 50+ years. Zero failures sort of amplifies my conviction.

pcmentor29
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if anyone has used Naval Jelly to clean oxidized stranded copper automotive wire 14-16ga prior to soldering? It's phosphoric acid. Has anyone gotten good results ie: ability to tin entire wire end not just part of the end? Thanks
2002 at Quartzsite, AZ