Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stand Alone Charger

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

What is the best stand alone battery charger? I have had a couple of Shcumachers and I am really not impressed. Also, there seem to be several dozen Schumacher models, how the heck do you know which one to get, they all look pretty much the same?

Also, I am considering just buying a Progressive Dynamics PD9260 and using that as a stand alone charger.

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML
24 REPLIES 24

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not knowing what type of charging you require, most any brand name multiphase microprocessor controlled unit should do the trick. We have one of the B&D 40 amp chargers from back in the day, which has been wonderful at bringing back to life batteries that have seen better days. I can't imagine they had any advanced technology that today's chargers couldn't duplicate or replicate. No reason you couldn't get a PD or other unit from the links above, we have a 55 amp Iota IQ4 that does a marvelous job keeping our rig's battery bank happy.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking for an old-fashioned mechanical battery charger...
Sorry the government thinks you're too stupid to own one.
I modify MEGAWATT POWER SUPPLIES with my own cables.
Presently modifying a 150-amp MEANWELL for a friend.
We are living in an age of pictures on cash register keys.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grodyman wrote:
Hi all,

What is the best stand alone battery charger? I have had a couple of Shcumachers and I am really not impressed. Also, there seem to be several dozen Schumacher models, how the heck do you know which one to get, they all look pretty much the same?

Also, I am considering just buying a Progressive Dynamics PD9260 and using that as a stand alone charger.

Gman

I have a couple Schumacher chargers also but I went a head and bought a Noco Genius 10a and couldn't be happier,a much better charger...I'm considering there 26a charger..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
As was asked, what are you charging and where?

I pull my toyhauler battery in the fall when it goes into storage and put it on a BatteryTender brand battery maintainer. The diesel's batteries get hooked up to a Black and Decker maintainer, and they stay in the truck.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
People are dancing around the issue: What are you trying to charge?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I had my Class C, I used the PD 4245 to keep the starter battery when the RV was not in use. Never had a problem doing that.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
Grodyman wrote:

What are you using it for? Are you charging your RV's starter battery because you left the lights on all night, want a maintainer to keep your batteries charged in storage, or trying to charge your house battery bank as quickly as possible while you run the generator?

My only charger is a 2A Battery Minder, which works fine, if slow. When I left my car headlights on all night and drained the battery so low that the dome lights were barely visible, I hooked up the Battery Minder for a couple days to charge the battery.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are going to use it to charge 2 6v GC batteries in you RV I would get the Stanley 40 amp charger about $100 or if you can find an older B&D 40 amp charger. I bought my B&D for $50 when Stanley bought them out. If not the convertors that BFL13 showed are good options especially the 45 amp for $114. If you want it just for your cars any 10 amp charger will work, Stanley makes 10,15 and 25 amp one.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best is with adjustable voltage to work with any type of battery's specs. Price is good too. (I use converters as portable chargers with cut-off jumper cable ends in the terminals to clamp onto the battery.)

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/products/powermax-pm3-60lk-12-volts-60-amp-power-converter-batt...
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Do you really need a 60A charger ? You would save almost $50 by downsizing to the 45A model.