cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stereo/DVD WIRING

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
My stereo has 3 sets of speakers (2 in the living room, 2 in the bedroom, and 2 outside)..

To turn the ones off in the bedroom, I adjust the balance to the right side speakers. This tells me I’m not really getting “stereo” sound I’m the living room. I plan to re-wire it so I have left and right speakers in the living room and bedroom.

Is the way mine is wired the norm or, did somebody screw up?
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 259FKDS.
2021 Ford F-150 3.5 ECO BOOST 4:30
14 REPLIES 14

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Your Model only has Zone A and Zone B speakers. SO, what I would do is, either designate Living Room/Bedroom as Zone 1 and Outside as Zone 2 to get true stereo separation, or Install a Speaker switch to use The Living Room and Outside on Zone 1 and connect that extra speaker switch to the Outside speakers to turn them ON and OFF. Doug

PS, It appears your RV is "wired" correctly since they did not install the correct A/B/C Stereo system. They wired it to kill the Bedroom using the balance.

Excellent idea. Thanks.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
MrWizard wrote:
I would make the front and the rear
1 zone and outside the 2nd zone

The problem with this is, if someone wants to sleep, they will have the LR sound in the bedroom. Also, usually Balance kills the actual sound when on full left or right. Faders usually NEVER kill all the sound, you can still faintly hear the sound. Doug

MrWizard
I would make the front and the rear
1 zone and outside the 2nd zone
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
Mine is balance left right
Fade front rear aka bedroom
4 speaker system
No Zone selections
Alpine Automotive stereo not RV special
Afaik Fade & Balance have never been the same thing in automotive stereo
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
MrWizard wrote:
Shouldn't that have been on FADE,
Balance on left right
Fade for front rear/bedroom

Fade and Balance may be the same term. His model Stereo just has Balance between Left and Right. No fade.

MrWizard
Shouldn't that have been on FADE,
Balance on left right
Fade for front rear/bedroom
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Your Model only has Zone A and Zone B speakers. SO, what I would do is, either designate Living Room/Bedroom as Zone 1 and Outside as Zone 2 to get true stereo separation, or Install a Speaker switch to use The Living Room and Outside on Zone 1 and connect that extra speaker switch to the Outside speakers to turn them ON and OFF. Doug

PS, It appears your RV is "wired" correctly since they did not install the correct A/B/C Stereo system. They wired it to kill the Bedroom using the balance.

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Your profile states a 2021 model. MOST newer(last 10 years) Trailers that have 3 sets of speakers, the Stereo itself has "A" "B" "C" speaker control and the Balance will operate on all 3 sets. Some of these Stereo's it is difficult to figure out HOW to engage the 3 speaker switches. BUT, If doing the balance kills 1 set, then it is probably miswired. It is common for the factory installers to miswire the speaker leads. I would take it b ack to the dealer and have THEM fix the wiring problem. POST the Brand and Model of the Stereo for us to give you more help. Doug

It’s the Furrion DV 3100, I pulled it to take a look at the wiring. The wires coming from the unit are easily identified since I have the wiring diagram.

I’d take it to the dealers but they are so far behind. I’m using the rig almost every week.

I’m pretty good with stereos so I’m gonna give it a shot myself.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Messsing up connections is kind of a national passtime I think

On my RV as I recall the DVD did not play properly on the main TV.
They hooked the VIDEO lead to the wrong jack.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Of all the trailers I have had, not one had the speakers wired right!:E

The speakers would be cross wired to different zones. They would be wired out of phase and in one case, wires to no-where. I would carefully mark all wires and start from scratch to send them to the right speakers.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Your profile states a 2021 model. MOST newer(last 10 years) Trailers that have 3 sets of speakers, the Stereo itself has "A" "B" "C" speaker control and the Balance will operate on all 3 sets. Some of these Stereo's it is difficult to figure out HOW to engage the 3 speaker switches. BUT, If doing the balance kills 1 set, then it is probably miswired. It is common for the factory installers to miswire the speaker leads. I would take it b ack to the dealer and have THEM fix the wiring problem. POST the Brand and Model of the Stereo for us to give you more help. Doug

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Just be sure to trace the wires from the speakers back to the stereo the best you can before snipping and replacing any of them. In my previous RV, the speaker wires at the speakers were Green/Gray and Green/White. At the stereo, they were Purple/Gray and Purple/White. Somewhere in the spaghetti mess of wires they were tapped into and switched to a different wire color. Also, RV stereo systems use a common ground and that could be anywhere within the RV so be aware of that.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Yeah, that is not stereo. I would expect a system with 3 sets of speakers to have a menu or switch to select which speakers to use. I had an old system that died long ago with 5.1 surround speakers in the living room (A speakers) and two bedroom speakers (B speakers). With the system menu I could select A, B, or both.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Messed up stereo wiring, and other screw ups are kind of the norm. My previous FW stereo speakers were wired wrong. It was obvious, after pulling the unit out, looking at the wires, and connections, which were clearly marked, easily fixed, and worked great after I made the proper connects.

Also the fridge door opened the wrong way, but easily fixed, and the city water entrance line was plumed into the hot water line.

Jerry