cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Streaming devices

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I am "cutting the cord" at home and am currently evaluating the combination of an Amazon Fire TV Stick and DirecTV NOW (an Internet streaming provider).

Do most campgrounds have WiFi that is capable of handling this or do you have to bring your own cellphone/WiFi "hot spot" to get decent reception?
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I am "cutting the cord" at home and am currently evaluating the combination of an Amazon Fire TV Stick and DirecTV NOW (an Internet streaming provider).

Good for you.. I find no reason to pay often 100/month or more, for Television when my OTA antenna pulls in so much I often can not watch it all for FREE

Do most campgrounds have WiFi that is capable of handling this or do you have to bring your own cellphone/WiFi "hot spot" to get decent reception?

NO
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Campground wifi is limited to the ip download they can provide. For instance, if the ip can provide 50 mbps to share through wifi, by the time it gets through routers, firewalls, antennas, and your dstance from antennas much is lost. Then it is shared with everyone.
expect to maybe get enough bandwidth for email, no streaming.

x2

i figure if campground has wifi its a bonus. rarely do anything with it other than checking email. one of the many things we enjoy about "glamping" is being disconnected anyway

as for firestick we have one at home and enjoy it. works great and user friendly

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Campground wifi is limited to the ip download they can provide. For instance, if the ip can provide 50 mbps to share through wifi, by the time it gets through routers, firewalls, antennas, and your dstance from antennas much is lost. Then it is shared with everyone.
expect to maybe get enough bandwidth for email, no streaming.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
...Do most campgrounds have WiFi that is capable of handling this or do you have to bring your own cellphone/WiFi "hot spot" to get decent reception?

Most campground wifi is barely capable of retrieving and sending email.

We have the Onstar $20 per month unlimited data in our truck.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Do most campgrounds have WiFi that is capable of handling this"

Short answer: No.

"or do you have to bring your own cellphone/WiFi "hot spot" to get decent reception?"

Short answer: Yes.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depend on others? Not me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:

No to campgrounds. You will need your own cellular hotspot/MiFi and it's likely you will need service from Verizon and AT&T to ensure you have coverage in most (but never all) locations.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bring your own. A couple people doing what you're doing and the system slows to a crawl for everyone else. Many parks specify NO Netflix, no streaming.. or we will cut you off. Not saying there isn't a park that can handle it, just not seen that yet. Maybe one where's there's very few people, or very expensive.

You're also posting about a data plan.. for cheap. I wouldn't count on cheap plans being what you want for high-usage data.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman