cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburban SW6P no spark

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
1993 6 gallon Suburban SW6P in our truck camper.

Worked fine when we bought the camper, then would light, burn for 5 seconds or so, then shut off. Able to get it to work again by blowing out burner tube (probably coincidental). Worked for five trips, now won't spark. If I turn it on, I can light it with a lighter, but again, it burns for 3 seconds, then shuts off.

-No visible spark when observed in the dark.
-Reset fuse on high temp switch not activated.
-Oven, furnace, refridgerator work fine.
-12.7v at battery.
-I tried to bypass hi-low thermostat, but no change (might not have done correctly.
-Current 12.7v when checking input-output wires from thermostat, when thermostat removed.
-I can here gas solenoid opening/closing, also can light manually.
-Tried to clean temp sensing rod/igniter without success.
-Significant corrosion at mounting point for igniter (bad ground?).

I ordered new board and hi-lo thermostat, waiting for items to arrive.

Any insight?

I'm guessing the temp sensing/flame sensing function is gone. Or could it be a thermostat shut off issue?
8 REPLIES 8

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had trouble with my water heater a few years ago. One of the "spade connectors" was dirty. Cleaned it up and it has worked fine since. You might try taking all these connectors apart and cleaning them, then put dielectric grease on them.
Dr Quick

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
Fixed it with a Dinosaur board........

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
last year in Yuma mine would not light, no sound or any thing. got home and my friend the service man came over and took the black reset cover off and wiggled the wire on the reset and it took right off.

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
Waiting for parts, in the meantime.

-Grounded flame sensor with extra wire to clean ground, no change.
-Checked voltage through both thermostats. 12.7v going through both, and 12.7 at board.
-Cleaned ingitor, no change.
-Still lights manually then shuts off.

So somewhere from the board to the ignitor seems to be the problem. Maybe the new board tomorrow will fix it.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I have fixed several things like this just by cleaning the flame sensor or thermocouple. Use a BRASS brush to gently remove carbon or, carburetor cleaner does a great job of melting carbon too.

sclark
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is the flame sensor has failed or needs cleaning. Same with the spark ignition. Good luck.
2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Cummins Aisin transmission
2014 KZ 358BHK
Honda eu3000is Generator

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I guess it's no different than a spark plug gap on an auto.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Your igniter may have moved and the gap is too large to spark across. Try moving it closer to the spark point and try again.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)