cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parasitic Power Loss!

Red-Rover
Explorer
Explorer
Four months ago I put my 5th wheel into indoor storage, unplugged shore power, and disconnected the house battery by using the factory installed disconnect switch. I was surprised two days ago to find that the battery was totally drained. I connected an external charger, set for 2 amp charge rate, and everything seems okay now.
Question: Is there anything electrical, that is still drawing power even when battery disconnect is turned off? Maybe gas detectors?
My boat batteries are left stored inside the boat right next to the RV trailer and did not discharge, however I did disconnect the cables and did not rely on a disconnect switch.
2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed
14 REPLIES 14

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmm, got me wondering about my trailer.

AFAIK the battery disconnect on my Timber Ridge just disconnects the WFCO converter's 12V distribution panel (and fuses) from the batteries.

But the 12V awning, tongue, stab. jack and slide motors are connected to the batteries through either a separate inline fuse (tongue jack) or separate self-resetting breakers mounted in the floor up front of the trailer. They don't go through the WFCO distribution panel. And I wouldn't normally expect any parasitic losses there.

But there's also the wiring for switches and the remote control of these motors (and the outdoor lights). That's all separate from the WFCO panel too as I can use the remote with the batteries disconnected from the WFCO. So there's probably some parasitic draw maintaining the remote control electronics.

Think the propane detector is tied into the furnace or frig 12V line from the WFCO, so will be disconnected when the main batteries are disconnected from the WFCO. But the CO and smoke detectors have their own batteries.

This thing is ridiculously complicated.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Much to my surprise I learned that the factory installed cut-off switch did not completely eliminate all draws from battery. Not a biggie for us as we store our rig in our side yard, but you would think if something is called a battery cut-off switch that it would do just that.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You could move all items with a measured draw to the other side of the existing switch, remove a cable, install your own switch.

Breakaway braking system is supposed to be direct on the battery and does not draw power unless activated. This way it cannot be disabled or forgotten inadvertently.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
As stated above: You just need to completely disconnect the battery terminal to insure you have a charged battery. You can disconnect and have a charged battery even 6 months after last use. No need for a trickle charger at all. (I know, I know, only if the batteries are good)
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Combining "Motorhome Manufacturer" with "Electrical Design Intelligence"...

Is much like combining...

"Bovine" with "Stradivarius"

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you disconnect the neg cable and put your multimeter to 10 amps you can measure this parasitic draw. When I was having this problem with my chassis battery I noticed a .4 amp draw for various items mention by previous posters. I installed a battery disconnect. Using this battery disconnect In 4 months over this winter without power the batteries self discharged to 80% soc.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The factory installed a partial disconnect? Now that is just genius. Install a real switch at the battery, or properly wire the one that is installed.

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
I put a disconnect switch on my negative battery cable for a TOTAL disconnect during service, or for any time I need the battery bank to be totally disconnected.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

Red-Rover
Explorer
Explorer
Thank for the prompt answers. You confirm what I suspected. Guess I need to disconnect at the terminal next time.
2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
If you have Hydraulic Leveling these are connected before the cut-off switch and will draw about 0.10 amps in idle. Other items as listed above such as the Propane detector, etc that are safety items that require power at all times.

Walter
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
BFL13 wrote:
LP alarm, radio, front jacks, slide, Trimetric, solar controller stay on.

This is the case with many newer trailers. For long term storage, you need to disconnect a battery cable, to stop all drain.

Jerry

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
LP alarm, radio, front jacks, slide, Trimetric, solar controller stay on.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a FW, but could it be the breakaway switch? I know that my tow dolly will have a drained battery if the switch gets activated accidentally. My MH which is stored indoors will drain the battery in a few weeks if I fail to pull the fuse to the solar panel since the controller is still using power and the panel cannot recharge since there is no sunlight. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
A WAG but could high humidity/moisture create a trickle current within the battery box?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)