cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tariffs On Solar Panel Imports Announced

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
But implementation date not firm...but it will be soon.

Please. No political comments which do not do a damned bit of good.

25% price increase on a thousand dollars of panels is not chickenfeed.

Other electronics are also affected.

Time to do your Christmas Stocking Stuffer shopping early.

Amplifications not solicited or desired...

Good buys and bargains are solicited....

Any snide remarks please kill the thread...
80 REPLIES 80

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
Clinton could have headed up a special foundation on panel prices that she could over see. Obbie and rahm may have been ah um you know too "busy" to do it.

They don't mind this stuff being posted on here or it would have been moderated already. 🙂

You got a reprieve for now. You got until Monday until they all return for work.

And obviously, you don't know how foundation works.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Come October, I am springing for eBay wanted and needed far east gizmos because it was announced yesterday that tariffs are not unlikely to reach eight hundred billion dollars and stretch to forty percent added tax. This was on BBC.
Yelling and frothing will do little good -- trying to outsmart it is the best I can do. Undergoing a stroke for no reason is not part of my program.

REMEMBER politicians are failed lawyers and worse. So they are used to threats, derision and coarse language. I have never seen a street demonstration or bar argument that swayed me in the least -- I tend to turn my back on them and then discount the participants as being lame of perception of reality. I write letters to congresspeople expressing my displeasure, instead. Those who argue publicly vent and not write are short a few bricks for the hod.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Clinton could have headed up a special foundation on panel prices that she could over see. Obbie and rahm may have been ah um you know too "busy" to do it.

They don't mind this stuff being posted on here or it would have been moderated already. 🙂

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
All that panel area for a hundred watts? For $200.00?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
PUULLEEEEEEASE! NO NAMES! NO POLITICAL PARTIES. DOESN'T DO A DAMNED THING TO HELP FIND GOOD SOLAR PANELS !!!!!

Harbor Freight solar panels are still cheap..

There you go.... :R

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
ppine wrote:
Trump actually knows very little about the geopolitical landscape and trade negotiations.
But he's real good at making us think he does.

You 2 need to stop watching CNN..

Wakeup Fools.. 😛

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I love it when I am being "represented" by people that could care less if something costs five times as much as it should. "As much as it should" can be translated to "Not a luxury but a basic staple".

Take a look at the DRUDGE REPORT Dot Com, front page headline PHOTO about THE WEATHER CHANNEL REPORTER AND THE WIND. It really isn't funny.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."

I remember a few years ago, when Canadians complained about higher prices in Canada for used cars than used cars cost in the States.

A government spokesman came out and said--actual quote I remember it so well-- "We are protecting Canadians from those low American prices."

Well, thanks a lot!

(He did not go on to explain just which Canadians the government was protecting, instead of car buyers.)

At the moment, that same government is making sure we pay $2 for a jug of milk that Americans pay $1 for. Why is that? Is there something wrong with our cows? Nope. It is the dairy farmers' organization that has a grip on the politicians, who don't care what we have to pay for milk as long as they get money from the dairy farmers to help with getting elected again.

It seems like the Americans might even save us from that in the current round of NAFTA negotiations, but I am not holding my breath.

Meanwhile, American home buyers are getting screwed because their Grateful Government is making them pay extra for 2 by 4s from Canada.

It is all so ridiculous, but there is not much we can do about it. Just go camping in your RV and pretend nothing is happening. 🙂
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
It’s not about solar panels, wandering. It’s a poker game the administration is playing with China and some the chips are solar panels.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"My Hero" model for successful USA product manufacturing is...

CATERPILLAR

The most expensive earth moving machinery on earth. And according to buyers in Japan, India, Saudi Arabia, Brazil and Mexico...

Worth every penny

"Caterpillar is so snotty they even make their own nuts and bolts, and they too have an awesome reputation".

Years ago I happened to have lunch in a roadside cafe in Mexico where "suits" from a major highway building project were having lunch.

"How do you like the D8R model (bulldozer)?"

"It's quite a machine" came the answer.

"And you prefer CAT over Komatsu, or Mahindra?"

"They are junk" one guy answered "Especially the hydraulics and accessories. They are offline for repairs many times more frequently for stupid breakdowns"

Go Peoria!

NOTE ON SOLAR PANEL CONSTRUCTION

80%+ of which is ROBOTIC. And a manufacturer can source material from Australia, build a panel then SHIP IT HALFWAY ROUND THE WORLD and retail it for HALF the price of a 100% made-in USA panel. Don't know where some media analysts got their business finance knowledge but their "books" are hard-boiled with condiments and spices.

No economy on earth can "subsidize" a titanic industry to that degree and remain afloat. And I am utilizing MBA knowledge from almost fifty years ago to sniff out the ambiguities. My opinion is too many lard asses in the USA want to sit behind a desk and make a run at the Fortune 500 hit list. At the expense of the average consumer.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

And then Bill Gates is doing everything he can to make his product a monthly subscription service. Something is dead damned wrong....

I've always wished I could be the person to sell Bill Gates a high dollar, premium car. And then as he is going out to get in tell him,
"You will be able to drive it in about 12 hours, here are the parts and patches you need to install along with a list of all the tools you will need."
He has never minded telling the public that about his products. I wonder how he would react to it being done to him.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
clicky

So then it's not China.

The majority of solar installations in the United States—roughly 80 percent—use imported panels. Most come from Malaysia (36 percent) and South Korea (21 percent), with China, Thailand, and Vietnam each contributing 8 to 9 percent. The raw materials are sourced from all over the world, a reflection of the industry’s globalized supply chain.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Briggs & Stratton versus Honda

Harley Davidson versus Honda or BMW

Onan versus Honda. Look at Onan's prices and engineering

Why are we in this position?

I use Japanese stuff where business costs, labor wages and everything else is priced insanely higher and Japan does not have natural resources.

It is so stupid it is embarrassing.

We need to FIX American businesses. How they are constructed and how they operate.

When HIGHER PAID German employees use high cost imported steel alloys make a superior product, ship it thousands of miles and sell it FOR LESS is as ominous a warning sign as a person can get.

And then Bill Gates is doing everything he can to make his product a monthly subscription service. Something is dead damned wrong....

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
qtla9111 wrote:

Could we get a reference or article?

Here is one recent one. As I said above, this is not recent news. And the hysteria is all out of proportion, obviously due to a guys last name.

Note, I chose a source not from biased news outlets.

https://www.popsci.com/solar-panel-tariff-effects
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver