cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Television storage and cold temperatures

Red-Rover
Explorer
Explorer
I am about to replace my 4 year old factory provided Legend television and am seeking a brand that will tolerate cold temperatures during storage. My present Legend has suffered what appears to be delamination. The display has a kind of shadow in different parts of the screen.
My RV is stored inside an unheated shed and a temperature of -21 degrees Fahrenheit was experienced last winter.
Years ago when LCD first became popular I read of some RV'ers removing their TV to indoor warm storage in the winter months but am thinking some brand must have engineered a fix by now?
2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed
12 REPLIES 12

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Red-Rover wrote:
Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. The idea that destruction is caused by powering up when cold makes me realize what has been happening. Last autumn the grandchildren camped with us and set the alarm feature on the TV to turn on in the middle of the night then turn off after an hour or so. With the trailer parked in a remote shed all winter, plugged into a 30 amp service, it would have powered up every night for the entire winter with no one to witness. I discovered the alarm function being on during our first night out this season but just didn't think through the consequences.
You folks are a great source of practical knowledge -- thank you.

Frankly, I rather doubt that had anything to do with it.

Condensation happens when the television (or whatever) is cooler than the dew point of the surrounding air. If the TV is cold and the environment is cold when it is turned on, the heat will prevent any condensation that might possibly form from forming. The only concern--and I personally think it's generally overblown, but it is still somewhat of a valid concern--is powering electronics on when the device is cold but the surrounding air is warmer (and not bone dry).

I would guess the television just happened to fail, as electronic devices sometimes do, particularly those made to be as inexpensive as possible. My uncle has a television that had a partial backlight failure after sitting in and being used in his living room for a few years, no cold temperatures being involved; it's just a consumer good that breaks down, like anything else.

Red-Rover
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. The idea that destruction is caused by powering up when cold makes me realize what has been happening. Last autumn the grandchildren camped with us and set the alarm feature on the TV to turn on in the middle of the night then turn off after an hour or so. With the trailer parked in a remote shed all winter, plugged into a 30 amp service, it would have powered up every night for the entire winter with no one to witness. I discovered the alarm function being on during our first night out this season but just didn't think through the consequences.
You folks are a great source of practical knowledge -- thank you.
2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
yep, they get shipped in unheated trucks to places where it cold enough that mercury freezes! All that's required is to ensure the tv gets to room temperature well before its plugged in and powered up. As noted the worry is condensation being present when power is applied...
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
SNIP

THink about this for a minute... Say the TV is being shipped to. oh. say Iron Mountain MI (WAY UP NORTH) or even farther north (Canada).. it sits for days in a way below zero semi trailer not heated.. Bouncing down the road in a cold semi trailer.

Another SNIP

My DW wanted to bring the tv from our first 5er inside the first winter we had it. I brought up this exact point, and I haven't had to unmount a tv yet.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cold temp's do not bother it unless you turn it ON in cold temps or take it from say -20 to 80 degrees (and yes it need not be that big a change)

THink about this for a minute... Say the TV is being shipped to. oh. say Iron Mountain MI (WAY UP NORTH) or even farther north (Canada).. it sits for days in a way below zero semi trailer not heated.. Bouncing down the road in a cold semi trailer.

I swapped one of my CRT's for a LCD almost on day one. Wintered two years in Detroit. (or was it 3) no problems lasted many years. I finally replaced it oh about 8-9 years later when it went bonkers (never that cold again) New ones do not get that cold cause I'm full timing,and as the song says "I'll follow the sun".
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Red-Rover wrote:
I am about to replace my 4 year old factory provided Legend television and am seeking a brand that will tolerate cold temperatures during storage. My present Legend has suffered what appears to be delamination. The display has a kind of shadow in different parts of the screen.
My RV is stored inside an unheated shed and a temperature of -21 degrees Fahrenheit was experienced last winter.
Years ago when LCD first became popular I read of some RV'ers removing their TV to indoor warm storage in the winter months but am thinking some brand must have engineered a fix by now?

Most will list the low operating temperature and the low storage temperature in the specifications.

Choose the tv you like, then check the specifications.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Be cautious about bringing something frozen -20F indoors.

Condensation can form on circuit boards and if there is dust that's all that's needed between IC pins to prompt a failure.

I don't use our TV for about a day. Let it warm up slowly with the camper. Taken it out of hibernation from -30C(COLD!) to 20C/70F. Never an issue and the set is a Best Buy house brand unit that is over 8 YO.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Be cautious about bringing something frozen -20F indoors.

Condensation can form on circuit boards and if there is dust that's all that's needed between IC pins to prompt a failure.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The shadow effect sounds to me more likely to be a backlight failure or at least aging/breakdown than an LCD problem.

LCDs can withstand very cold temperatures without damage. Car radio displays, GPS displays, and car dashboard displays are very often LCDs and generally stay out in whatever cold happens to be there, year after year, and don't die from those effects. A TV set is not really any different technology.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a 32" Visio flat screen that has been in the trailer for 5 years without any issues. We store the trailer outside without any cover and temps. here can go well below 0. I believe that most name brand televisions would give the same results.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remember reading nonsense on the internet, so it had to be true, the liquid inside the Liquid Crystal Displays would freeze 🙂

I've not had a problem with storage all the way down to -20F. If the TV was still cold, screen wouldn't react as fast as when it's warm, leading to blurred motion, but that quickly passes.

steved28
Explorer
Explorer
I can't definitivley say my TV can withstand your environment. But I have a Samsung that has withstood temps to around 0F this Winter. I also like the Samsung smart TV's as they have options to connect to the internet or a smartphone that others do not. If you are into that sort of thing.
2019 Winnebago Sunstar LX 35F
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara