cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The rig is getting some age..................

1100Sabre
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the truck was traded back in March for a new one due to some issues cropping up and now the camper is starting to do some crazy stuff. Last week while in San Antonio the switch for the landing legs quit for the down mode and then when we got home, while using the hand crank, the right leg gear cluster exploded!!! LOL!! Well, just came apart. I discovered the gears were worn out!!

Amazon has everything I need but with a two week delivery time!! Right now the truck and trailer are still hooked up in the driveway, luckily we have a car to drive also...... I stopped at an RV place yesterday on our way to St. Louis and was able to get a new switch but they did not have a new gear set. However, they had a set of gears that were new that were taken from a camper that had been upgraded. She sold them to me as "used" parts so today I get to put it all back together.

I know I'll need to "time" the legs and I am hoping the switch is the issue with no "down mode". If it's the motor then it's gonna cost a few more bucks!!! Ouch!!!
2015 4X4 Chevrolet Duramax/Allison 3500HD Crew Cab SRW
2007 Sportsman Sportster KZ 33P Toy Hauler
"It's not the destination, it's the journey."
3 REPLIES 3

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending on your fiver, the landing gear is probably one of only a couple manufacturers. I ordered parts directly from the manufacturer and had then in three days. I ordered a complete curb side leg assembly with motor to convert to dual powered legs. Pretty cheap in the whole scheme of things. Pop the top cap off of the leg, on the underside will be a part and serial number. Call the mfg directly and order your parts.

1100Sabre
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, I need to pull the covers on the others to inspect them. The left front one is a bit hard to get too due to the generator is in the way just a bit. The right one is super easy, I just had to take out the propane tanks and everything is right their in my face. I may go ahead and order a couple of new gear kits anyway just to have on the road. They are super simple to replace so if this should happen on the road I can fix them......
2015 4X4 Chevrolet Duramax/Allison 3500HD Crew Cab SRW
2007 Sportsman Sportster KZ 33P Toy Hauler
"It's not the destination, it's the journey."

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to inspect the gear box on the other three legs. I have considered buying a new camper a few times but have not. I know what I have inside & out. It is paid for so I fix stuff as it breaks so far anyway. 12 years and counting. Probley not worth much on a trade
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)