cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time for Onan 5500 rebuild? Pics and video ...

twvette
Explorer
Explorer
I have a separate post about my Onan 5500 gas generator (5.5HGJAB-1038C Spec C) starting with some assistance by opening air filter box and holding the butterfly/choke all the way open to get it going and then it might run for a while after putting everything back together but struggles (sounds flooded) and have to repeat process if turn it off to get it going again. I can feel it spitting liquid (seemed like fuel) as I held it open especially as it first tried to start.

I first tried to replacing the fuel pump filter, eliminated the filter at the carb, and new vacuum diaphragm with no luck so went for a full new carb (very easy to replace by the way ... easier than just the diaphragm) but looks like it is on a quick downhill slide as getting a bit of smoke now and it wont run much at all.

When removing the carb found this directly behind the carb:

It is very "moist" and seems much more like oil than fuel. Can even see a puddle in the back (gold color). This should just be air intake port behind the carb an no real trace of liquids or carbon buildup, correct?

Here is also a video to show the smoke and a high pitch noise that seems abnormal to me. The noise is intermitted and can briefly hear it at the very beginning and then again for a little longer duration when I am filming the smoke.
http://tlwphoto.smugmug.com/Other/Weekend-Warrior-CL4005/42502871_bPwhZp#!i=3347167018&k=qK5vGwb

If you look at the pics again can see the case seal above at the upper left side looks like it is much more saturated than the right side seal and it seems to me the left cylinder is making the high pitched noise.

I am now even getting a little bit of oil dripping off the exhaust pipe tip.

Pulled the spark plug on left cylinder and it was literally dripping with black liquid. With a new one it fired right up and sounded great (i.e. not a flooded out sound) for a couple minutes but then the smoke got really bad and it started to die again.

It started all this almost exactly at 1,000 hours and I do regularly change the oil and filter (not so sure about previous owner who put 80% of these hours on it).

Any chance I don't need a rebuild and am overlooking something else to try?

Maybe just need rings or similar that are perhaps easy to change? If so what is involved? I don't mind doing the work with a little guidance as I do a lot of stuff in the garage but not motor work yet. Or just let a "pro" do the work as too risky? My only convenient option is to have Camping World do the work so not sure if that is a good or bad choice.
- '16 Fuzion Chrome 420 (Previous: Weekend Warrior '05 LE3105 and '06 CL40005)
- '15 RAM 3500 SRW 4x4 Aisin Crew (Previous:'05 Dodge 2500)
- '17 Maverick X3 RS (Previous: '08 RZR 800, '13 XP 900, RC51 powered RZR, Hayabusa powered RZR)
6 REPLIES 6

twvette
Explorer
Explorer
Took it in for repair to a small engine repair shop which is authorized Onan place. They found a valve was stuck. Some other stuff was apparently out of adjustment and apparently I messed up the breather tube when installing the new carb. Said they also needed to clean it well to get all the buildup out. They said it's running great now and will pick it up soon.
- '17 Maverick X3 RS (Previous: '08 RZR 800, '13 XP 900, RC51 powered RZR, Hayabusa powered RZR)

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
twvette wrote:
Pirate wrote:
It almost looked like a problem I had with mine with the choke pull off not working. Open up the filter box and run it and see if the choke pulls off by itself after a bit. If it doesn't, the choke may be staying on. Choke pull off gizmo is easy to change.

This choke is part of the carb, correct? I replaced mine with this assembly:
http://onanparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_12&products_id=446
Yes, it looks like the choke pull off is included it that part you linked.

twvette
Explorer
Explorer
Pirate wrote:
It almost looked like a problem I had with mine with the choke pull off not working. Open up the filter box and run it and see if the choke pulls off by itself after a bit. If it doesn't, the choke may be staying on. Choke pull off gizmo is easy to change.

This choke is part of the carb, correct? I replaced mine with this assembly:
http://onanparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_12&products_id=446

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Check for gas in your oil.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The source of the oil coming out the exhaust could just be extremely worn valve guides.