cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires after over 2 years sitting

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Today was the first time in over two years that our 5er moved. Normally, I'd do the wheel servicing but I decided that I'd rather pay somebody else to do it.

So today was a warm up for the hour long trip to the service centre in a week's time. All tires looked good but two of the six were down to 30lbs. The other 4 were down a bit to 65lbs which is what I'd expect.

I pumped them all up to 80lbs and will keep a close eye on the two leaky ones.

I'm pretty good at looking at a tire and being able to tell if it's down a bit but I think in this case the two other tires on each side were holding up the deinflated ones making them look normal.

The lesson I learned today is not to trust my eye - a gauge is the way to go. Also, I'm wondering why two of my six tires would go flat. Maybe in the rush to install them at the start of the pandemic they didn't get the rims clean?

The other thing we were trying today is DW's new trike and my bike - will they fit? I got them both in the toy hauler but I'm going to have to take the saddle bags and guards off my bike to account for sway going down the road.
38 REPLIES 38

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MFL wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Now we're talking about replacing 2 year old tires and putting campers up on blocks if they sit un-used for a few months? LOL

To be fair, nearly 3 yso. If maintained, kept inflated to max while sitting, I'd use them. Left sitting low pressure, 2 extremely low, for that length of time, some risk.

Unused for 2months, wheels removed, camper on blocks, someone needs more to do. Lol

Jerry

Meh, it's a triple axle with likely 3000lb + rated tires and the 2 low ones didn't even look low, according to the OP. What you're saying makes sense, but the tires didn't even start to go flat.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Boon Docker wrote:
joebedford wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
Some of these tire threads are hilarious, good for a laugh once in a while.
What's hilarious about this thread?

Four remarks about replacing 3 yr old tires that have sat in the sun for 2 years. Now that is funny.

I recently blew 2 3-year old tires. That wasn't funny.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
midnightsadie wrote:
just bite the bullet and be safe you,ll feel much better. put the old one,s on craigs list.

Are you trolling craigslist to buy tires for pennies on the dollar? If you really feel they are dangerous, why would you suggest saddling some unsuspecting individual with them?

I'm unclear if the 30lb pressure was before towing or if you filled them and then they went back down to 30lb while towing over a few hours or less.

If it was before towing, there are no signs of damage and just 3yrs old, keep on truckin', you should be fine.

Now if they lost pressure while driving, that's something wrong. Might just be poorly seated or not well cleaned rims or might be something else. Take them in and have them checked for leaks or damage.

Yes, looking at the tires is not nearly as good as using a gauge.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
joebedford wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:

Four remarks about replacing 3 yr old tires that have sat in the sun for 2 years. Now that is funny.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Boon Docker wrote:

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boon Docker wrote:

Feel free to borrow some of these..

If they have the right tire sizes I wouldn't mind some new to me 3 yr old tires for free.. Heck, just took off some of mine that were 9 yrs of age that were on my TT.. Tread wouldn't pass inspection.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
joebedford wrote:
"unused for 2 months, wheels removed, camper on blocks"

You're right - you need more to do!!!

Yeah, it's probably overkill when I think about it. Having 2 blowouts within 5 miles on 3 year old tires wasn't fun I assure you. And those tires got exercised regularly. It certainly makes you think differently.

I can tell you I wouldn't leave my RV sit for 2 years on low tires without checking them, moving the RV or removing them.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
For what it's worth: the 6 tires are Sailun S637s. Not quite a trailer tire; not quite a truck tire but very heavy.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
"unused for 2 months, wheels removed, camper on blocks"

You're right - you need more to do!!!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
MFL wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Now we're talking about replacing 2 year old tires and putting campers up on blocks if they sit un-used for a few months? LOL

To be fair, nearly 3 yso. If maintained, kept inflated to max while sitting, I'd use them. Left sitting low pressure, 2 extremely low, for that length of time, some risk.

Unused for 2months, wheels removed, camper on blocks, someone needs more to do. Lol

Jerry

I got plenty to do. You do you, I'll do me.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:

Jerry

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
just bite the bullet and be safe you,ll feel much better. put the old one,s on craigs list.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, the tires are almost 3 years old.

The tires on the truck are older, but I periodically took it out and ran it a few miles to make sure the "tires are round".

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Jim, no one said covering tires will stop dry rot but covering tires from direct sunlight is a factor in protecting tires from premature aging.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad