cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires wearing on outside

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
The tires on my trailer are showing heavy wear on the outside of the tires. This is worst on the right hand side.

The tires are 205/75 14 Marathons. They have been kept at 50 PSI. The trailer was made Mar 2011. I don't know the tire date. There are no signs of sidewall cracking.

The axles are Dexter.

Does this indicate bent axles?

I need new tires for sure.

Thanks
Peter
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks
28 REPLIES 28

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has the trailer been overloaded? Looks as if the camber is way out if they are wearing like this on either end of the axle.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
What is the max pressure rating printed on the tire?

Max pressure on tire is 50 lb. The sticker on the trailer also says inflate to 50 lb. The tires have been kept at 50 all the time.

We have likely towed the trailer about 20 000 miles since we picked it up new June 2012. I just saw the wear today in Tucson. Wear was not apparent the last time I looked closely at the tires - a few hundred miles ago. Perhaps just didn't notice the wear.

Does anyone have a recommendation for tire/axle service in Tucson?

Thanks
2011 Jayco 28U
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
I don't get how any sort of axle alignment would result in the kind of wear the OP mentions.
My thought was that if one axle was not square with the frame, and it's a double axle unit, the tires will not be running straight and true. Kind of like if your steering tires were toed in or out too much. Dunno for sure, just seems possible. But I've been wrong before.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Here is one of mine with an internal belt shifted or broken. Initially I though the alignment was out.

Actually the alignment was out a bit but did not cause the wear issue.

This is the type of wear that is showing on 2 of my tires. One is almost worn this badly.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to get the tires checked. We're in Tucson at present.
2011 Jayco 28U
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Here is one of mine with an internal belt shifted or broken. Initially I though the alignment was out.

Actually the alignment was out a bit but did not cause the wear issue.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't get how any sort of axle alignment would result in the kind of wear the OP mentions.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe the axles are not perpendicular to the tongue and the trailer is dogtracking. But I'm not sure how this would show in tire wear.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
owenssailor wrote:
The tires on my trailer are showing heavy wear on the outside of the tires. This is worst on the right hand side.

Yes

+1 Its not your PSI...
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
owenssailor wrote:

Yes

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
should be 65 PSI. your tire are underinflated.

TOSS them out, don't risk a blow out.
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the wear is just on the outside then the tire is riding at a slight angle with the bottom pointed more in toward the trailer than the top.

You will need to check the suspension components, axles, spindles, to make nothing is loose, bent, or damaged and aligned properly.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Remove the worst tire and inspect for out of round, tread shape and cracking in the tread area.
Is the tread area still flat?

I would trust the newest Marathon but I think those could be left overs from Goodyear's first build to spec in China.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the max pressure rating printed on the tire?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman