cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet seals R & Ring tutorials?

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a Thetford Aqua Magic toilet, circa 2002 in my Class C that won't hold water, so the seal must be worn out. Are there any how tos on the Net for how the toilet is R & R'ed? Also, are there sources for the seal-kits aftermarket on the Net? Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Glad you got it working. I wonder if the bleach softened the seals? or caused them to swell?
If it'll save an R&R job with occasion treatment, I'm in! I'm hoping that the bleach dissolved the mineral deposits, instead of wearing on the black rubber seal, which would probably indicate that at some point the seal(s) with wear down or wear out.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad you got it working. I wonder if the bleach softened the seals? or caused them to swell?

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Joe,how did you make out with your leaking toilet?

Rather than pull the toilet, I decided to pour a few ounces of straight bleach down there, and after the first pouring, followed it up with another 3 or 4 ounces the next day and let that dwell. Success! It's holding water perfectly now!

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
I think it is easier to remove the toilet and put it on your work bench. Mine is a 1996 after doing all the simple things like cleaning the groove,treating the seal it still would not hold water. What I found was a lot of mineral build up from hard water on the under side of the blade and it's encasement, after scraping the build up off,and cleaning the seal with a tooth brush them wiping with Vaseline, I reassembled it and it has held water for the last 2 years. With all that build up a new seal would have still leaked. If you turn the toilet upside down it is very easy to see how it comes apart.

I haven't pulled it yet. I really should because the tanks are all still dry from winterizing and de-plumbing the unit last December, and clean as a whistle.

Your post here has inspired me to not worry with getting the correct seal kit, and to just pull it and get acquainted with the mechanics of R & Ring it myself - and scraping the surfaces of the knife/slider valve. It just looks perhaps too involved for me to get it back together right again.

It works fine - except doesn't hold water but for less than a minute - so, the odors come into the unit. Ugh.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Joe,how did you make out with your leaking toilet?

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think it is easier to remove the toilet and put it on your work bench. Mine is a 1996 after doing all the simple things like cleaning the groove,treating the seal it still would not hold water. What I found was a lot of mineral build up from hard water on the under side of the blade and it's encasement, after scraping the build up off,and cleaning the seal with a tooth brush them wiping with Vaseline, I reassembled it and it has held water for the last 2 years. With all that build up a new seal would have still leaked. If you turn the toilet upside down it is very easy to see how it comes apart.

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Skid Row Joe wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
Skid Row Joe wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
All Thetford toilets are Aqua Magic- the exact model is needed to get the right seal. The AM IV is dead easy to replace- don't even need to remove the toilet.
Others are not at all easy ๐Ÿ™‚
What's an "AM IV" ?

That's Aqua Magic IV- there's Aqua Magic V, Aqua Magic Bravura, Aqua Magic Style, Aqua Magic Style II. You can see the lineup here.

OK, so my AM IV (if that's what I have, circa 2002...) I just reach down and R & R the seal by hand from the top?

Anybody know a reliable and cheap Internet- based source for these seals? PPL in Houston, maybe?? I tried a CW store and they didn't know which set of seals to sell me.

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dennis M M wrote:
You can also pick up a product that is supposed to soften and rejuvenate the seals.

What product would that be?
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Skid Row Joe wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
All Thetford toilets are Aqua Magic- the exact model is needed to get the right seal. The AM IV is dead easy to replace- don't even need to remove the toilet.
What's an "AM IV" ?

That's Aqua Magic IV- there's Aqua Magic V, Aqua Magic Bravura, Aqua Magic Style, Aqua Magic Style II. You can see the lineup here.

OK, so my AM IV (if that's what I have, circa 2002...) I just reach down and R & R the seal by hand from the top?

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the manufacturer is Sea Land, some like mine you just hold the ball open with your foot or whatever and reach in and pull the seal out. New one went in the same way but it was a kinda challenge to get the seal lips seated all around.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skid Row Joe wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
What's an "AM IV" ?

-- Chris Bryant

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
What's an "AM IV" ?

Chris_Bryant
Explorer II
Explorer II
-- Chris Bryant

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Biggest problem for me was getting my old body into a position to work on the toilet in the small space! Otherwise not a bad job.

You can also pick up a product that is supposed to soften and rejuvenate the seals.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure